Bursar launches €230 million capital programme in Estates Strategy

The strategy includes expansion of student accommodation as well as a number of new buildings

Trinity’s Bursar, Professor Veronica Campbell, launched the university’s first Estates Strategy this afternoon which includes €230 million of spending for a number of buildings both on and off campus.

Speaking at the launch, Professor Campbell said: “[The campus] provides an environment that supports student learning, enables research and creates an ambience in which the Trinity community connects and flourishes. We aim to provide facilities that support our students and staff for all their needs and ensure there is a plan to sustain growth over the long-term.”

The Estates Strategy outlines College’s existing flagship projects, including the Printing House Square development, designed to provide on campus accommodation for 250 students, which is due to open in 2019, and the construction of a new 6,000 square metre interactive learning facility on Trinity’s main campus, part of the E3 (Engineering, Environment and Emerging Technologies) initiative.

The Estates Strategy also outlines Trinity’ expansion plans for a new technology campus in Dublin’s docklands and the new Trinity Business School which is set to open in March 2019

Campbell added that the new Estates Strategy “will allow the campus to continue to evolve and support the academic mission by improving the efficiency and quality of learning space and by introducing adaptive reuse of buildings to meet future requirements. It will upgrade heritage buildings, support growth areas and position the campus for the future.”

The Estates Strategy identifies that 25% of Trinity’s buildings are in “as new” or “good” condition, while 73% of buildings are operationally safe but require minor or major refurbishments. 2% of buildings require replacement, the strategy details.

The strategy discusses utilisation of College space, finding that while 28% of rooms are used with “good frequency”, a further 34% are “underutilised”. However, it notes that these figures are based on classroom bookings, which it says “are not reliable” and may overestimate actual room usage.

The Bursar’s plans include an expansion of student accomodation at Trinity Hall in Darty to add 300 new beds as well as an expansion of the School of Law and a refurbishment of the arts block.

As well as these building projects the Estates Strategy incorporates a long-term conservation plan for many of Trinity’s historical buildings, with a particular emphasis on the Old Library, now one of Dublin’s most popular tourist attractions.  

Provost Patrick Prendergast, who also spoke at the launch, said: “Space is essential to community, and in Trinity our sense of community comes so much from sharing this beautiful campus. Better management of space will improve connectivity across the University.  The building of new transformative spaces, like the E3 Learning Foundry, will enable new approaches in teaching.”