Former Trinity student and charity worker found murdered in Cape Town apartment

John Curran had spent the previous two years doing charity work in South Africa

Trinity alumnus John Curran has been found dead in his apartment in Cape Town, South Africa. John was a charity worker who had spent the two years leading up to his death in South Africa.

Curran was found on Wednesday morning, having received multiple stab wounds. Local police have since opened a murder investigation. Police Captain Ezra October has said that CCTV footage was obtained which shows an individual leaving Curran’s block of apartments at 4am on the night in question. No arrests have been made thus far.

Curran earned a degree in Multimedia from Trinity before becoming a primary school teacher and serving as principal at the Good Shepherd National School in Dublin, where he spent 15 years. After retiring from his role as principal, Curran worked for the Irish Primary Principals’ Network, before taking the position of Director of Education for Mellon Educate in Cape Town in 2016.

Curran retired from his position as Director of Education in September of this year, and was believed to be returning to Dublin in a few days.

One of Curran’s most notable achievements with Mellon Educate was the building of 13 classrooms, 2 toilet blocks, a kitchen and completing renovation work across seven other buildings with the help of approximately 270 volunteers.

A statement on the company’s website says that “2,700 collective school pupils and countless children to come will benefit from this lasting legacy”.

Sarah Moran

Sarah Moran is the current Head Copyeditor of Trinity News. She is also a Senior Sophister English Literature student.