Sustainability fund established by Provost’s Advisory Committee

The committee advises Trinity on sustainability and low carbon living

Trinity has announced the establishment of a new sustainability fund to “enable initiatives to improve campus sustainability and more sustainable behaviours” this morning.

According to an email circulated to staff and students by Trinity Registrar Professor Paula Murphy, projects which are “student led or involve students” are encouraged to submit an application for funding, although the initiative will also award funding to non-students.

The announcement noted that the objectives of the committee are to “re-enforce communication and education on sustainability to all students”, and to “enable behaviours that will benefit the environment on campus and throughout life”.

The fund was established through the Provost’s Advisory Committee on Sustainability and Low Carbon Living. Applications for the fund will be reviewed in coming months, with two deadlines coming in mid-December and February.

Various initiatives have recently been established within College to increase sustainability. In past year, the Buttery has moved away from plastic cups, with the Pav also implementing a reusable cup scheme. Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) also conducted a vote to implement a sustainable product in its House Six shop, with bamboo toothbrushes being selected.

Peter Kelly

Peter Kelly is the current Assistant Editor of Trinity News. He is a Junior Sophister Law student, and a former Deputy News Editor.