Trinity Med Day raises €33,000 in bucket collections

The event is expected to raise a total of €50,000

This year’s Trinity Med Day has raised €33,000 from bucket collections for charitable causes, while organisers expect total income from the event to rise to around €50,000 once any sponsorship gained is added to the total.

Trinity’s medicine students ran bucket collections around College and on a number of main streets in Dublin. The event received support this year from Jim Gavin, Dublin Senior football manager, and Jordan Larmour, Irish and Leinster rugby player.

The beneficiaries of this year’s effort are the Sudden Cardiac Death Centre at Tallaght Hospital, the Portable Ultrasound Service at St James’ Hospital, the Musculoskeletal Imaging System at the National Rehabilitation Hospital, 24-hour Blood Pressure Monitors at St James’ Hospital, and the Trinity Access Programme.

Trinity Med Day was established in 2002 and has since raised over €750,000 for a variety of healthcare causes. The fundraising event, which is run by medicine students in Trinity for charity on an annual basis, took place this year on November 2.

Since the inception of the event, Trinity’s School of Medicine has given all students the day off from lectures to enable them to participate. An estimated 600 students take part in the fundraising every year.

Claudine Howard-James, chairperson of Med Day, outlined that the event marks a “huge community coming together to make a positive change in the world” and that Med Day “has helped [her] become who [she is] today”.

Speaking to Trinity News, third year representative Emily Feeney stated: “If you would like to support these wonderful causes you can either follow the donation link through our website http://tcdmedday.wixsite.com/trinitymedday or text MED to 50300 to donate €2.”

After the day of bucket collecting, a charity auction took place in the Pavilion Bar, with a talent show in the Arts Building closing the event.

Finn Purdy

Finn Purdy is the current Deputy Editor of Trinity News. He is a Junior Sophister English Studies student, and a former News Editor and Assistant News Editor.