Trinity student elected Chair of Labour Youth

Newly elected chair Patrick Ahern is treasurer of Trinity’s Labour Youth branch

Trinity student Patrick Ahern has been elected National Chairperson of Labour Youth at the organisation’s national conference this weekend.

Ahern is the current treasurer of Trinity’s Labour Youth branch. Prior to his election to Chair, Ahern served as the National Secretary-Treasurer of Labour Youth. Ahern has been a member of the Labour party for seven years.

Speaking to Trinity News, Ahern outlined his intentions for the year ahead: “We’ll be continuing to campaign on the issues that are at the heart of Labour Youth as an organisation such as a living wage for all, improved health and mental health services, swift action to resolve the housing crisis and to tackle climate change, and the immediate implementation of the result of the referendum on the 8 th  amendment to the constitution which the public voted to repeal over six months ago.”

“I’m delighted to have been elected Chairperson of Labour Youth,” Ahern continued. “I’d like to thank the membership for putting their faith in me to continue the work of outgoing chairperson Chloe Manahan.”

Labour party leader Brendan Howlin offered his support to Ahern on social media, tweeting: “Congratulations to Patrick and his team. Looking forward to working with you and the new National Youth Executive over the year ahead.”

Ahern received his undergraduate degree in Business Information Systems in University College Cork (UCC) and is currently a masters student in Trinity.

The National Chairperson of Labour Youth is responsible for the organisation’s development and management, as well as acting as a spokesperson for member. The Labour Youth Chairperson sits on the Labour Party executive board as the Labour Youth representative.

Labour Youth’s new executive committee was elected this weekend during a national conference. The new officers are to serve in the roles for one year.

Ahern participated in the Labour party’s recent “Labour Academy”, a pilot programme which trains participants in the history of the Labour party and movement and its ideology.

Labour Youth’s outgoing chairperson Chloe Manahan recently asserted that Labour must accept and embrace protest in a Trinity News op-ed. “To stay relevant and do right by Ireland, Labour must maintain and encourage its radical and risker tendencies,” wrote Manahan.