Part-time officers elected at last SU Council of year

Elections also took place for the Oversight and Electoral Commissions

Part-time officers for the 2018/2019 academic year were elected this evening during Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU)’s last Council of the academic year.

Part-time officers are full-time students who work alongside sabbatical officers on specific student issues. The part-time officers and sabbatical officers together form the Union forum, an executive committee of the Students’ Union.

Aaron Donnelly was elected as LGBTQ+ Rights Officer. Donnelly, a Senior Fresh Human Health and Disease student, has acted as a class rep and was first-year rep on the Welfare committee last year. Donnelly hopes to work on events for LGBT+ people in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) and introducing gender-neutral changing facilities.

Cúnla Morris, a Junior Fresh Modern Irish and History student, was elected as Oifigeach na Gaeilge (Irish Officer). Morris has been active in An Cumann Gaelach and sat on the Éigse committee this year, as well as acting as Public Relations Officer (PRO) for the Trinity Literary Society (Lit Soc).

Aoife Grimes, a Senior Fresh Law student, was elected Gender Equality Officer. Grimes was the Welfare Officer in the Junior Common Room (JCR) this year and organised consent classes in Halls. Grimes wants to put a clear policy in place regarding assault cases on campus and be more inclusive towards non-binary and transgender students.

The role of Ethnic Minorities Officer will be held by Navika Mehta, an international student entering final year of Politics and Economics. Mehta hopes to establish a subcommittee to coordinate with students and cultural societies across campus.

The Mature Students’ Officer will be Rachel Merriman. Merriman was elected as Mature Students Officer in Hilary term of this year and sought to continue in this capacity in order to further her initiatives, such as running town hall meetings. Merriman emphasised the importance of representation and inclusion. The position was contested by Kenneth Kelly.

Leah Freeman, a Junior Fresh Social Studies student, was elected as the Student Parents Officer. Freeman holds a degree in Communications and Media and drew on her experience as a mother of two in explaining her suitability for the role. Freeman was uncontested.

Niamh McCay was elected as the Citizenship Officer. McCay, a Senior Fresh Political Science and Geography student, has served as the Junior Common Room (JCR) Music Officer and Chair/Treasurer of The Harmony Project. McCay wants to “take the power and pass it on to those refugees.” The role was contested by Conor Reddy and Maia Mathieu.

Laura Beston was re-elected as Officer for Students with Disabilities. Beston, a Junior Sophister English and Film Studies student, Beston has held this role for the 2017/2018 academic year and hopes to expand Disability Day to a week-long duration, among other plans.

Roisin Harbison was elected Sports Officer. Harbison is the Vice-Chair of Dublin University Central Athletic Club (DUCAC) and promises to “ensure that sports continues to grow in Trinity”.

Molly McCrory was elected as the International Students’ Officer. McCrory, an international student, is entering final year of Physics and served as class rep this year. McCrory hopes to ease international students’ experience in College.

Daire Hennessy was elected as Access Officer. Hennessy is a Business, Economics, and Social Studies (BESS) student. Hennessy has been a Trinity Access Programme (TAP) ambassador and class rep.

The Volunteer Forum Coordinator will be Clio Chatterton Dickson. Chatterton Dickson, a Junior Sophister English and Art History student, has been an involved member of Suas.

Cal Hennessy was elected as Community Liaison Officer.

Rory Codd and Edwyn Hitchcock ran for Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences (AHSS) Faculty Convenor. Council elected Rory Codd as Convenor. Codd is a Senior Fresh English Studies student and was this year’s School Convenor and Vice Chair of the Academic Senate. He also served as Secretary of the Education Committee.

Nayeema Hussaini was elected as Health Sciences (HS) Faculty Convenor. Hussaini acted as a class rep during her current Senior Fresh year. Hussaini identified issues which are “widespread” across Health Sciences courses, such as timetabling problems. Ida Lis also ran for the role.

Sally Anne McCarthy will be next year’s Engineering, Mathematics, and Science (EMS) Convenor. McCarthy studies Astrophysics and was Science Convener for this year. McCarthy stated that she can “speak the language that the academics use” and promised to increase representation of EMS students in College. William O’Sullivan also ran for the role.

Misha Fitzgibbon, a Junior Fresh Drama and Film student, was elected as the Undergraduate Studies Committee Representative, defeating fellow candidate Kevin Llanera. Fitzgibbon spoke of her desire to “help people” and passion for education.

Kate Nolan was elected as TSM Programme Convenor, while Hannah Keating was elected Joint Courses Programme Convenor. Nolan and Keating were both uncontested.

Elections were also held for the Chair of Council and Secretary to Council.

Stephen Sheil was elected as the Chair of Council. Sheil is a third year Political Science and Geography student and was this year’s Citizenship Officer. The Chair of Council also serves as Chair of the Electoral Commission.

The role of Secretary to Council will be held by Leah Keogh. Keogh has been the incumbent Secretary for the 2017/2018 year. The Secretary to Council is also Chair of the Oversight Commission.

Two ordinary members of the Electoral Commission were also elected. The two elected members are Cian Walsh and Ellen McGrath. Alden Mathieu and Sadhbh Brennan were elected as biennial (two-year) members of the Electoral Commission. Four annual (one-year) members were elected to the Electoral Commission. These were Ruby Barrett, Úna Harty, Nollaig Butler and Jack Shields. The Electoral Commission runs SU Councils, elections and referendums.

Additional reporting by Aisling Grace, Ciarán Sunderland, Peter Kelly and Michael Gilna