Post Grad Week set to show graduates how to strike a balance

Trinity’s Graduate Students’ Union have organised a week of events specifically for graduate students, from employment workshops to nights out

The Graduates Students’ Union (GSU) has been hard at work preparing for Post Grad Week 2017, a week of events specifically catered for graduate students which shall run from today, March 20, until Friday March 25.

An abundance of  informative talks and workshops aimed at improving graduates academic performance, as well as their chances of securing their dream job, comprise the week’s timetable, but for graduates feeling overwhelmed or simply in need of vigorous exercise or soothing relaxation, physical activities and mental health-orientated events are also taking place. If neither of these appeal, graduates can still revel in plenty of fun night activities throughout the week.

The week will commence with an address from the Vice Provost in the Atrium on Monday morning, where the new Graduate Students’ Union website will be launched.

Talks and Workshops

“Sex and Money” is the title of two-hour practical seminar on Monday afternoon and is aimed at postgraduates planning to apply for research and postgraduate funding in 2017. The seminar’s mission is to inform post-grad students on how to effectively integrate sex and gender dimensions into their research project proposals and funding/grant applications, and will be followed by a wine reception.

This isn’t the only event to take place that looks to the futures of graduates. Accommodation Speed-Mating taking place on Friday is an innovative way to help graduates find others who are or will be looking for accommodation in the city, whilst two LinkedIn-related events on Wednesday and Friday aim to assist graduates find employment.

However, Grad Week 2017 isn’t focused solely on increasing graduates employability; many of the events of the week are aimed at helping graduates improve their college performance. These include an “Overcoming Procrastination” talk on Monday, “Developing Arguments in Your Writing” talk on Wednesday and a Thesis Centre Workshop held both Wednesday and Thursday afternoon.

Wellbeing

Post Grad week puts a large emphasis on the physical and mental health of their graduates this year, offering a plethora of events to invigorate the body and sooth the soul.

For the former, a “Total Body Blast” on Monday, involve cardio and conditioning exercises, is likely to get one’s heart rate up. If that is not enough, a “Kettlebells” event two days later, which is a full body exercise to tone muscles and increase strength and endurance, should do the trick. “High Intensity Interval Training” on Thursday, “a total body, heart pumping, aerobic and strength conditioning workout”, looks set to be an invigorating afternoon.

As for soothing the soul, meditation events on Monday and Tuesday should provide some much needed relaxation for graduates, while Depression Support Services are on hand on Thursday to assist with serious mental health problems. A Treasure Hunt on Friday afternoon will provide some fun and is set to be one of the week’s most popular day events.

Nights Out

It wouldn’t be a Trinity campaign week without an abundance of nights out, and Post Grad Week 2017 does not disappoint. Kicking off the week’s night events is an International Potluck and Wine Reception. Attendees are invited to bring along food from their own culture, and various societies will also contribute to the feast.

Tuesday sees a GSU X Ents Battle of the Band take place in the Wiley Fox, where bands will battle it out to win a spot at Trinity Ball 2017, while festivities will continue at Chaplins Bar on Wednesday for a Comedy Night, hosted in collaboration with Comedy Soc.

Post Grads should have popcorn at the ready for Thursday’s night event, a Pyjama Movie Night, held in the GSU Common Room. Cake and candles will be needed for the final event of the the week, the GSU’s 43rd Birthday Party. Hosted at the Stag’s Head, graduates can expect a spirited night of music and dancing to close off the week.