RAG Week 2018 raises a record €34,070

The amount fundraised surpassed the previous record set in 2016

Trinity’s Raise and Give (RAG) Week, held this February, was the most successful in the event’s history, raising a total of €34,070. The figure, which broke the previous record set in 2016 by over €7,000, will be used to fund multiple Trinity-based charities.

An estimated 2,000 students contributed to the RAG Week collection, with many others also taking part in society events. These events included a large table quiz in the Dining Hall, a Rose of Trinity event and a “Line of Coins” which spanned from Front Arch to the Campanile. The Trinity Science Ball also raised funding, with all profit given to the Trinity hardship fund.

Trinity’s Development and Alumni also contributed €12,000 in funding.

Today, at a presentation of the funds raised to college, Kevin Keane stated that: “The spirit of charity, community and support of others is alive and well within the Trinity community. The number of students supporting RAG Week and Science Ball is increasing each year, which demonstrates a real desire to support the noble work of each of the College charities involved.”

Senior Tutor Aidan Seery also expressed his satisfaction with the initiative, saying: “We are delighted to have the support of students and alumni towards the hardship fund and this will go some way to addressing this growing need’.”

The funds raised during RAG week will be used to fund the seven partner charities based in Trinity. These are the Voluntary Tuition Programme (VTP), Student 2 Student (S2S), Vincent De Paul (VDP), the Free Legal Aid Clinic (FLAC), Amnesty and the Medical Overseas Voluntary Elective (MOVE).

Peter Kelly

Peter Kelly is the current Assistant Editor of Trinity News. He is a Junior Sophister Law student, and a former Deputy News Editor.