Reflection, dancing and glitter: here’s what’s happening at Pride

A round up of some of the events taking place in Dublin this weekend to celebrate Pride

Pride is an annual event that takes place around the world to celebrate the LGBTQ community. The theme chosen by Dublin this year is “We Are Family”. If you are interested in taking part in the celebrations, there are a variety events available for people of all ages and interests with further information to be found on the Dublin Pride website.

If you want to celebrate in sparkling style, The George is hosting ‘Glitter Bomb’ which “promises to add that touch of sparkle your life has been missing all these years”. Entry is free of charge before 10pm, €5 before midnight and if The George is your final destination point of your night, it’s €8 after midnight.

If you’re not in the mood for glitter, there is Street 66 on 33-34 Parliament Street,where acclaimed Lady Veda will be in attendance. PantiBar will be playing pop tunes and admission is also free.

Saturday welcomes the famous parade and to make sure you’re full of energy the Outhouse will have breakfast on Capel Street, or if you prefer head to NoLita for brunch. Youth Work Ireland on 20 Dominick St Lower will have a free breakfast for anyone aged between 14 and 23 before heading to the parade.  And of course, Trinity SU will be offering a free breakfast from 10am to noon, complete with crepes provided by Lemon. What more could you ask for to kick off Pride?

A day not just for celebration but also reflection, there will be three LGBT asylum seekers speaking at the Gallery of Photography in Temple Bar at 12.30pm. Meanwhile, the parade starting at 12pm will leave from Stephen’s Green.

In Oscar’s Cafe Bar at 4.30pm a Madonna and Pink tribute act will take place to get you in the mood for the host of parties that evening. The Grand Social will be open for celebrations with tickets starting from €10, as will Opium with tickets from €15. Bad Bobs will also host the Spinster Pride Party with tickets at twelve euro while District 8 will have an after-party starting at 11pm with tickets from €10.

With all of Sunday morning to recover and rest up, there’s further Pride events on in the evening, starting with Panti’s Big Gay Cocktail Giveaway at 6pm with free entry. Alternatively, at 9.30pm you can head to The George to play bingo. What better way to end Pride than with a peaceful, serene evening in the George ?

Georgina Francis

Georgina Francis is a former Managing Editor, Life Editor and Assistant Life Editor of Trinity News.