Run for your life! DUHAC host free running seminar this evening

Dublin University Harriers & Athletic Club (DUHAC) will host its free public running seminar, the venue being the Joly Theatre in theHamilton building at 7pm.

Following on from the success of this event last year, the club have endeavoured to step in up a gear this year.Running is the most basic fundamental movement, integral to all sports andf ittingly seen as the go-to activity for those keen to embark upon life style changes.

In Ireland, the recession has witnessed the running boom explode further with record entries commonplace at races nationwide. Accordingly, this event seeks to respond to this welcome burst of interest to offer advice to runners and wannabe runners on issues such as the key principles of training, strength and conditioning, nutrition and injury prevention.

A superb line-up has been arranged. The Irish Times athletics correspondent, Ian O’Riordan, author of Miles to Run – Promises to Keep, will be on hand to offer training advice alongside diverse experiences with some of the world’s best athletes and coaches, in addition to comparing such advice with that of our Kenyan counterparts.

Honing in further on these themes, Irish 800m record holder DavidMatthews will practically discuss how he has utilised his own running career tocreate his own coaching career (with Cork GAA) by demonstrating the importance of strength and conditioning for injury prevention and increasing running economyand thus efficiency.

Furthermore, in response to recent demand, a nutritionist will present all there is to know on runners dietary needs and debates. The event will provide a unique opportunity for everyone to engage in a lively question and answers session with the speakers and gain quality advice, irrespective ofyour abilities.

To further motivate your potential running ambitions, there’ll be a host of running prizes on the night, alongside a limited number of goodie bags with plenty of surprises.

In conjunction with Suas Educational Development, DUHAC will be significantly lowering the tone of the evening in a fundraising leg-waxing event to continue the discussions post-seminar.

Kicking off at 9.30pm in Kennedy’s pub on Westland Row, DUHAC’s finest (and sexiest) athletes will be baring their hairy secrets to a team of professional beauty therapists, who will be lashing on the hot wax for eager punters to rip off.

Entry being a mere €2, sadists can pay as much asthey like to see club captain Garret Dunne, sprinter Kieron Sexton, and distance runners Ger Claffey and Darragh McCashin feel the burn –all for a very worthy cause!

Rumours are circling that our guest speakers may join in to pledge their support. Suas has coordinated educational programmes in less developed countries such as Kenya and India, facilitating Irish volunteers to engage in local communities and assist in furthering the development of the schools and students. All in all, this event will stimulate a very interesting discussion whilst raising necessary funds for Suas.What are you waiting for?