Science Gallery to celebrate 10 year anniversary

The gallery will host events to celebrate the anniversary on Friday

The Science Gallery is set to mark its ten-year anniversary on Friday, with a day of events which will promote science and celebrate the educational services the Science Gallery has provided over the last decade to the general public.

Irish and international artists will participate in a full-day symposium to mark the anniversary. The event will feature a broad forum for discussion, followed by a pyrotechnic performance in Front Square inspired by science and nature. The performance will be shared by Science Gallery collaborator Aoife van Linden Tol.

To close the celebrations, live music will be performed by Booka Brass Band and the first performance of “When Cultures Collide” by musicians Daithi and Max Sanderson will be played at the Gallery.

Science Gallery Dublin director Lynn Scarff noted: “With more rapid advancement in science and technology taking off in the last ten years, Science Gallery Dublin has produced many compelling moments that have provoked and surprised, providing a platform for our target audience to try on futures and experiment with the potential social and ethical consequences of new research.”

“As the network grows globally, we look forward to collaborating with our partners while taking more risks and experimentation at the boundaries of art and science, “ Scarff continued. Scarff attributes the Gallery’s growing success to “ever-increasing visitor numbers.”

The Science Gallery has held over 42 exhibitions ranging from the history of scientific discoveries to cutting-edge technology that is being produced today. The gallery has also hosted exhibitions pertaining to the future of humans and the development of artificial intelligence, all with an eye towards securing the interests of young students and fostering an environment that encourages innovation and discovery.

Although it was originally expected that 50,000 people would attend the gallery every year, it now welcomes more than 400,000 people yearly. Provost Patrick Prendergast noted: “The gallery has been a key driver of innovation in education, and has become essential to Dublin City.” He commended its success in “bringing creative, artistic, academic and tech communities together.”