Six startups kickstart Trinity’s first international accelerator programme

The programme represents one of the first forays into the global entrepreneurship ecosystem by Trinity

Tangent Pioneers, the first international accelerator programme, launches this week with six Trinity student and alumni-created startups. The participants include ethical fashion brand Nu, seaweed harvesting business SeaPunk, and a social enterprise that helps users donate to charities named Change Donations. Also taking part is Equine MediRecord,  an app-based medicine log for thoroughbred racehorses, Work Smarter, a digital solution to streamline the paperwork involved in the construction industry, and Greener Globe, an environmentally-friendly startup that produces “green” shower-heads.

Tangent Pioneers, led by Tangent, Trinity’s ideas workspace, is a recently launched initiative supported by Bank of Ireland. The five day programme aims to help six startups develop new contacts and mentors in the US while equipping them with the knowledge they need to survive in a more competitive market. The entrepreneurs will be provided with personalised coaching and support from business leaders. They will also spend time with global network Techstars NYC, meet with Handy CEO and co-founder, Oisín Hanrahan, and interact with Blackstone mentors, meet representatives of Enterprise Ireland, and deliver pitches to potential investors.

The programme represents one of the first forays into the global entrepreneurship ecosystem by Trinity. Gavan Drohan, Head of Student Entrepreneurship, commented: “It has been hugely inspiring to see how far these six startups have come over the last year. We are grateful for all the support we are receiving on this trip and are excited to see how the US market responds to some really innovative solutions.”

Danielle Olavario

Danielle Olavario is a former SciTech Editor of Trinity News. She is a Microbiology graduate.