Strong rebounding sees DCU past Trinity

DCU came into the match as National Cup champsion

Photo Credit: Oisin Vince Coulter/ Trinity News

Strong offensive rebounding as well as commanding performance by DCU (Dublin City University) point-guard Tiffany Corselli saw off a generally defensively-sound Trinity side in the Sports Centre last night.

DCU came into the game as National Cup champions after beating Glanmire on Sunday.

While DCU edged Trinity in shooting percentage, it was their ability to create second scoring opportunities out of their competitive offensive rebounding strategy which saw them rack up more points.

Corselli was a constant threat for DCU effortlessly dribbling by Trinity defenders and providing a three-point option when passes weren’t available. With Corselli’s shooting range drawing Trinity guards out to limit her shooting, DCU forwards had more space to call for the ball for higher-percentage shots.

Trinity also enjoyed periods of shooting success, hitting fadeaway jumpers and getting the ball to the open shooter through clinical passing. However, they lacked DCU’s rebounding strengths and when DCU went 52-33 up in the second half,  compelling Trinity to force scoring chances to catch up, DCU countered well with a blistering fast-break.

DCU ran out 70-44 winners but the result of the game rested on DCU’s marginal shooting advantage and their ability to come down with the ball in the paint. If Trinity can improve their rebounding the next time the clubs meet, it will  surely come down to the wire.

Speaking to Trinity News, Trinity Basketball coach Hugh Kilbride took some positives from his team’s performance. “That was disappointing but DCU are the outstanding team in the country and they’re a lot further down the road in their development than we are but I still think when it really matters in April when we’re playing semi-finals and finals we’ll give them a much bigger run for their money than we did tonight.”

Kilbride noted that it wasn’t a full-strength Trinity side. “Crucially tonight we were missing three of our top players and that really hurt us and against somebody as good as DCU you need to have all of your big guns on board.”

DCU point-guard Tiffany Corselli spoke to Trinity News. “I think that the girls came out really strong today. I know a lot of people played in the National Cup this weekend so kudos to Trinity it was a hard-fought game. “