Student groups will protest Hillary Clinton’s visit to Trinity

College is awarding Clinton an honorary degree next Friday

Students for Justice in Palestine (SJP) and Workers’ Party TCD are organising protests against Hillary Clinton’s visit to Trinity next Friday. Both groups oppose Clinton’s visit, during which Trinity will award her an honorary degree.

SJP stated the protest is intended to “send a message to Clinton” and “Trinity’s out of touch administration” that they oppose actions Clinton has taken. Worker’s Party TCD stated that Clinton’s politics are not an “antidote to Trumpism”, referring to her opponent in the 2016 Presidential race and current US President Donald Trump.

The protest manifestos focus on conflict in the Middle East during Clinton’s time as US Secretary of State, claiming that Clinton should be held accountable for resulting deaths.

During her visit, College will award the former US Secretary of State and 2016 Presidential candidate with an honorary degree. Clinton will give a public lecture in the Edmund Burke Lecture Theatre before receiving the degree. In conversation with Mary Robinson, Chancellor of the University, Clinton will explore her views on democracy, women in politics, and the challenges in American society.

Trinity awards honorary degrees to “individuals of integrity, judgment and exceptional achievement”. They recognise “outstanding contribution” to scholarship, society, culture, and/or civil society.

Former US Vice-President Joe Biden was awarded an honorary degree from Trinity two years ago. Ceremonies to confer honorary degrees are held twice a year.