Students for Justice in Palestine launch campaign for boycott of Israel on anti-apartheid grounds

Photo by Joe McCallion

Student for Justice in Palestine (SJP) are launching  a campaign for a boycott of Israel on Anti-apartheid grounds. They are seeking to mandate Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) to affiliate with the global Boycott, Divest and Sanctions (BDS) movement and to omit Israeli goods from student union spaces.

SJP also seek to mandate TCDSU to campaign for “an end to TCD’s ties to the Israeli state, its associated institutions, and any other body that profits from or helps to normalise Israeli apartheid, occupation, and other human rights abuses.”

In a press statement, the campaign organisers stated that the proposed referendum will reflect “the principles and aims of the international solidarity movement for Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions movement for Boycott.”

The group explained that trinity enforced the full boycott of apartheid South Africa on the same terms in the 1970s and 1980s. As a result of the actions, Trinity and other Universities helped dismantle Apartheid in South Africa.

The referendum will mandate the TCDSU to affiliate formally with the movement, to refuse to stock Israeli products in SU spaces and to campaign to end the SU ties with the Israeli State.

Currently Trinity has institutional ties to security company G4s, drone manufacturer Elbit security systems, the Israeli security and counter- terrorism Academy. Trinity also has ties with Universities such as Ariel University and the Hebrew University of jerusalem both of which are partly built on settlement lands.

In the statement, the group also said Trinity should “ have respect for Human rights as a decisive principle in all its proceedings and a solidary approach to research and learning at its core.

In April of this year, a motion was brought to council which called for a college wide boycott of the state of Israel. The motion was defeated. TSCSU President, Kevin keane broke a campaign promise when he  spoke against the boycott at the council and offered a compromise of a TCDSU  awareness campaign which was unanimously decided by the SJP.  At the council Keane said that the SU should exist to “affect the community we have right here”.

In February of this year, the Israeli Ambassador was prevented from speaking a The Society for international affairs (Sofia ) event because of a protest organised by SPJ.  SPJ were fined for 150 by the college authorities for the protest.

In this months print version of Trinity News, this article incorrectly stated that SOFIA fined SJP of 150. The college authorities held a disciplinary hearing and fined SJP 150 not SOFIA. 

Sarah Meehan

Sarah Meehan

Sarah is a 2nd year German and Economics student and current News Editor of Trinity News.
Sarah Meehan
  • romain

Universities shouldn’t allow this type of action. Tired of Trinity taking political and religious stances by people who have no idea of what is really happening !

• Raymond

There are Arabs on the Israeli Supreme Court, Arab members of the Israeli Parliament, Arabs in the Israeli military, police and civil service. Where is the Israeli Apartheid?

• Hogspace

This is truly appalling, siding with the nazis of history. Ireland of all places should stand shoulder to shoulder with tiny Israel, a population not much greater than our own, a sole outpost of civilization in a vast sea of muslim Arab and Persian and African bloodletting. A sea of barbarism.
    What is it BDS values most? the hatred and execution of gay men? the misogyny, the gender apartheid, the subjugation of women, the slavery of Africans and Filipinos, the repression, the murder? please do tell us what of that attracts you?
    The jews have been there through fire and brimstone for 3500 year, this is their home, they are the only people that can call themselves palestinians. The rest are Arab settlers, a plantation.
    I’m neither jew or christian but I stand with modern westernised civilization. With atheists and agnostics. With emancipated women. With homosexual and bisexual men and women. With science and technology and free trade. With the 21st century and not the 6th century.
    Trinity should be weeding out and barring any students AND ACADEMICS who exhibit jew hatred and who support such venal horrors as hezbolah and hamas and the PLO. Along with the Taliban and ISIS they all share the values of the Nazi and communist and Khmer concentration camp guards. By supporting BDS you are no better.

• watchmaker101

“And in engaging in acts of censorship — whether they’re shutting down Israeli film festivals in London, forbidding Israeli academics from coming to our universities, or getting musicians to cancel trips to Israel — they chill international engagement and stymie the exchange of ideas and art. They speak the language of freedom while executing acts of global censorship designed to deprive Israelis of our culture, and us of theirs.” H/T Brendan O’Neill

• Ossie Sharon, M.S., R.D.

Students for Justice in Palestine only does injustice to Palestinians and ultimately the free world. They deflect responsibility from Palestinian leaders, who slaughter and would starve their citizens in the name of jihad, and blame those who treat, employ, and feed Palestinians yet still suffer terrorist rockets. Shame on anyone for taking them seriously, and for not seeing beyond their aggressive propaganda.

• Ethan Einrich Schwartzman

All this Israel BASHING, will make them unemployed in the future in the USA and its allies. Hopefully, they will also get their J1, and tourism visa rejected. #punks #antisemitism

• By all means boycott but do it properly by throwing away your mobile phones and computers. Some 250 multinational companies have R&D centres in Israel or have acquired/invested in Israeli companies. which means that just about every tech item you use will have Israeli components/know-how inside. Just in case you think you can get away with pen and paper (a quill, perhaps?) the ink for the photocopier is an Israeli patent.

I would suggest Trinity boycott the Palestinian Authority for their continuing support of terrorism but it’s hard to think of something they produce that students might need or want.

So the BDS’holes don’t strain their brains here is a short list of companies to boycott. 3M, Alcatel-Lucent, Amazon, AOL, AMD, Apple, Applied Materials, ARM Holdings, AT&T, Autodesk, Barclays, Blackberry, BMC Software, Broadcom, ChemChina, Citigroup, Cisco, Dassault Systèmes, Dell, Dropbox, ebay, EMC, Facebook, Gemalto, General Electric, General Motors, Google, Harman International Industries, HP, Huawei, IBM, ICAP, Infosys, Intel, Jain Irrigation Systems, John Deere, Johnson & Johnson, Lenovo, LG, Marvell Technology Group, McAfee, Micro Focus International, Microsoft, Monsanto, Motorola, Oracle, Nestlé, PayPal, Philips, Polycom, Qualcomm, Red Hat, Samsung, SanDisk, SAP, Sears, SeaGate, Siemens, Sinokrot, Software AG, Sony, Sun Pharmaceutical, SingTel, Syngenta, Tata Group, Tech Mahindra, Teradata, Teva Pharmaceutical Industries, Texas Instruments, Xiaomi, Xerox, Yahoo, Legend, Kuang-Chi.

Knock yourselves out (literally, I hope)!

• Hogspace

Certainly no CT Scans or Nuclear Medicine for BDS.

• BonniePrinceCharlie

Who’s going to represent the Israeli case at the debate? Will he/she be draeing attention to the real apartheid which exists in Muslim/Arab countries?

• Tony Allwright

Why have srudents at TCD become anti-Semites? Its not 1930s Germany.

• Chaya Notik

if you were able to write a paper without using buzzwords, it would be more credible. the definition of apartheid doesnt exist in israel and if you would go there, you would see that.
    also, if no israeli goods are allowed on campus, are you willing to throw out your laptop or smart phones? what about your usb key? they were all invented by israelis. its easy to think israel is a bunch of bad guys focusing on military tehcnology but what about technology that you use all the time??
    do you have a medic alert saying which drugs or medical technology you dont want used on you at a hospital in case of emergency?
    its easy and cowardly to all out for boycotting israel when all you want to do is demonize and defame the one jewish country in the world and the one democratic country in the middle east. its another thing to really really boycott it.
    if you are eating cherry tomatoes but feel like BDS is right, you are one major hypocrite. and if you are supporting BDS against israel but not against saudia arabia or iran, you are an even bigger hypocrite.
    students should be going to school to study, develop ideas and learn about new cultures. boycotts will never achieve peace in the middle easy and it will ONLY harm palestinians. and who wants to hurt them?

• watchmaker101

Pro-Palestinian activists like to call Israel “ an apartheid state”’and make parallels with South Africa during the apartheid era. In doing so they betray an ignorance both of the realities of life in Apartheid Suid Afrika and the State of Israel today.

Israel is a democratic state with votes and equal rights for all Israeli citizens, Jewish, Muslim, Christian irrespective of their origins, political views, gender or religion.

It is a highly egalitarian society similar to the mixed economy welfare states of Western Europe.

It is in fact the most democratic state in the Middle East and it is far more progressive and democratic state than any of its neighbours. It is particularly progressive so far as women’s
    and LGBT rights are concerned.

• Paul Williams

People should read about what BDS is really about. It talks about Palestine being free from the river to the sea. In other words the eradication and destruction of Israel. Stay well clear of these antisemites and I don’t use that word lightly.

Sarah Meehan

Jenny Corcoran
Harriet Bruce
Isabelle Griffin
Maha Sultan
Megan Luddy
Lucie Rondeau Du Noyer
Amanda Cliffe
Constance Millar
Nicole O'Sullivan
Chloe Aitken