Students vote for BDS mandate for TCDSU

The amendment required a 60% vote to pass

Photo of the Trinity BDS Campaign

Students have voted for Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) to support the Boycott, Divest, Sanctions movement against Israel and work towards its implementation in Trinity.

BDS won the support of 1287 students, representing 64.5% of the total poll of 2050. The referendum saw the highest turnout in recent years, with 2,316 students voting in total for both referenda.  As the boycotting of the Israeli State is a long-term policy, it required that 60% or above of the students balloted voted in its favour, according to TCDSU’s constitution.

The Trinity BDS Campaign group want TCDSU to comply with the “principles of BDS in all Student Union shops, trade, business and other Union operations”. In addition, they are looking for the establishment of a “BDS implementation group open to all members of the union that will ensure compliance” with the movement, and to “lobby government and relevant external organisations to support BDS and the Palestinian anti-apartheid cause”.

Both the incoming TCDSU President Shane De Rís and President-elect of the Graduate Students’ Union (GSU) Oisín Vince Coulter have voiced their support for BDS and urged students to vote in its favour.

De Rís spoke to Trinity News before the vote: “It isn’t uncommon for students and students unions to campaign for the rights of oppressed people at home and around the globe. If we can help make a difference by boycotting, divesting, and sanctioning those organisations complicit the oppression of the Palestinian people, then I think it worthwhile to do so. Vince Coulter added: “We need to show solidarity again with the struggle of the Palestinian people for peace, justice and human rights.”

Over 200 more students voted in the BDS and ‘opt out’ referenda than voted on the reunification of Ireland last year. In the referendum on the development of a Students’ Centre 1,146 people voted, which passed. In the referendum on the development of a Students’ Centre, 1,146 people voted, which passed.

The referendum on the boycott of the Israeli state is being held after a group of students gathered the necessary 500 signatures to put the vote to the student body. SU Council voted on the matter last April, opting to reject the motion to support BDS.

Aisling Grace

Aisling Grace is the current Online Editor of Trinity News. She is a Junior Sophister English Literature and History of Art and Architecture student, and a former Deputy News Editor.
  • Aldo “The Apache” Raine

IRISH Anti-semites. What’s new?

• Sandra Duffy

Irish anti apartheidites.
      And yes we go back. Our voice was strong when apartheid was the atrocity in South Africa and our voice has been strong in the decades long apartheid atrocity in Palestine/Israel.

• Aldo “The Apache” Raine

yup ya’ll were terrorists that colluded with Muslim Terror groups up until 9/11

• So what now? Will all the YES students surrender their mobile phones and computers? IBM, Intel, Microsoft, Apple, Motorola, Google, Alcatel-Lucent, Motorola, AMD, Dell, Facebook and LG among over 250 multinational companies have R&D centres in Israel. Boycott the Israeli hi-tech contribution and your laptop becomes a door stop. Don’t know what your cellular becomes.

Will we receive a monthly report detailing the Israeli products boycotted and how much extra the Students Union had to pay because of that decision?

Will we receive a stock-taking of the Israeli products already purchased that won’t gain a re-order?

If the Preferred Suppliers (check out Financial Services Division) only have an ‘Israeli’ product will the College seek elsewhere?

• Ryan Clarke

Imagine being so deluded, that you believe the entire tech industry relies on some random ” country ” in the middle east.

• Hardly a random country. There is virtually no part of hi-tech without a huge component of Israeli contribution. How well will your PC computer last without the Intel chip or the Windows 10 operating system both developed in Israel?

Of course you could switch to Apple but they do R&D in Israel as well.

Israel stands out in its ranking in the table of international patent applications
        in areas such as medical instrumentation (first in the world), computerization
        technology (second), solar energy (fifth), and fuel cell technology (sixth).

None of this necessarily makes Israel more moral of course but these hundreds of hi-tech companies all have their people on the ground and all reporting back that the charges against Israel are exaggerated, taken out of context, proportionally much less than countries who avoid the BDS hypocrisy or straight-out barefaced lies.

• Ryan Clarke

” How well will your PC computer last without the Intel chip or the Windows 10 operating system both developed in Israel? ”

Pretty well. I use Samsung and apple.

” Of course you could switch to Apple but they do R&D in Israel as well. ”

They do that in pretty much every country in the world. Israel is in first place because they’ve got start-up subsidies and tax cuts for tech businesses.

With regards to global research, they’re way behind, often placed in the 50’s on the world map.

” None of this necessarily makes Israel more moral ”

You’re right, it doesn’t.

” but these hundreds of hi-tech companies all have their people on the ground ”

Who’s right ? The United Nations and hundreds of other investigative groups, or the workers in a company that has a financial incentive to prevent the placement of sanctions on it.

• OK Ryan, I’ll bite.
            Samsung has invested in 18 companies in Israel to date, in the fields of computer vision, sensors, cyber security and digital health. Today Samsung has 10 R&D centres around the world but the first outside South Korea was Israel. Hardly surprising. It was at Motorola’s Israel R&D centre that Israeli engineers first developed original cell-phone technology.

Do you use Waze on your Samsung? Israeli of course.
            Voice-mail? Israeli of course.
            4G? The chipset is Israeli.

Apple is a relative latecomer to Israel but the technology to assess the chips and plays a large part in their design is also Israeli. The flash-drive was designed and built by an Israeli company. Facial-recognition — ditto. The modem in the iPhone X is either Intel or Qualcomm both of which have major R&D centres in Israel.

I don’t know where you get the Apple does research in pretty much every country. If you are correct, I guess Israel will have to be satisfied with being company’s second-largest research and development office

The bottom line is that if you want to boycott Israel please replace your computer with an abacus and your phone with two cans and some string. Don’t want to do that? Hypocrite.

• Ryan Clarke

” Do you use Waze on your Samsung? Israeli of course. ”

No one uses waze lmao.

” Voice-mail? Israeli of course. ”

Samsung’s voicemail israeli ? You must be fucking joking.

“4G Chipset ”

…Is not Israeli.

Damn you Israeli apologists get dumber every time you make an addition.

” Don’t want to do that? Hypocrite. ”

What a terrible point. These projects would not have come from Israel ( these projects being the ones Israel actually did, and not the ones you claim they did ), Had there not been these R and D centres placed there by foreign companies.

Israel itself does nothing.

• Who would I believe the United Nations or the tens of thousands of eye witnesses who disagree? The UN is a corrupt, grossly inefficient organisation which gives the worse human rights offenders on the planet a pass while concentrating on only one. Its reports on Israel are written before an investigator even sets foot in the country. I’ll stick with the people on the ground.

• Ryan Clarke

” Who would I believe the United Nations or the tens of thousands of eye witnesses who disagree? ”

The United fucking nations.

” which gives the worse human rights offenders on the planet a pass ”

I agree, the US’ consistent vetos into any investigation into Israel is a block on impartiality.

” ts reports on Israel are written before an investigator even sets foot in the country. ”

What utter dogshit. You know nothing.

• Michael85

Lol gotcha owned.

• Aodhán Ó Donnghaile

No, the point now will be to get those companies to divest as well, as happened with South Africa, first it was universities divesting, then governments and companies followed suit. As a result, SA suffered from significant capital flight which helped pressure it into ending the apartheid regime.

• That sounds very close to ‘Don’t do as we do, do as we say’. You continue using Israeli products and services while preaching for others to stop. Perhaps that is because South Africa wasn’t producing something you were buying directly unlike Israel so you could feel morally uplifted without sacrifice?

Last year was a record year for mergers and acquisitions of Israeli firms. There has been no capital flight and none is likely. The United States, whose population overwhelmingly support Israel, was the leader but Chinese investments are growing steadily. China has a far worse human rights record than Israel. Hypocritical resolutions from Irish universities will have no effect.

All of these hundreds of companies have employees reporting back with the same message that the charges against Israel are lies and can be ignored.

• Daniel Howard

Will they also boycott American products too since the US is the main supporter of Israel worldwide and Israel wouldn’t exist without the US as an ally?

How about they boycott Saudi Arabia for their treatment of women, gay people and religious minorities whilst they’re at it?

• Ryan Clarke

I don’t remember any of those countries currently expanding their territory though illegal means.

• Michael85

Daniel why do you support IDF death squads executing homeless children?

• Sandra Duffy

It’s entirely possible to advocate against gender apartheid in Saudi Arabia while standing against ethnic/ religious apartheid in Israel. And as for the US? I doubt we could inflict more damage than they are doing to themselves in the Trump era.

• Sandra Duffy

Well done TCD students. This Dublin woman is proud of you. Going forward please advocate for Simon Coveney to follow suit and please follow some of the following to increase awareness of the daily atrocities suffered by Palestinians.
    The IMEU
    +972magazine
    Breaking the Silence
    Ben White
    JewishVoiceForPeace
    Mondoweiss

• Kaylee B

Yes well done for exposing how racist and anti semitic the Irish truly are. This Irish person is ashamed of them.

• Ryan Clarke

How are we anti-semitic if we wish to stop one group of people from oppressing another via financial pressure ?

We undertook similar actions South Africa. Are we by your implication, anti-white ?

Jenny Corcoran
Harriet Bruce
Isabelle Griffin
Maha Sultan
Megan Luddy
Lucie Rondeau Du Noyer
Amanda Cliffe
Constance Millar
Nicole O'Sullivan
Chloe Aitken