TCDSU Presidential candidate Sean Ryan drops out of race following sexual harassment allegations

Trinity News first reported on a series of inappropriate Facebook messages and Snapchats yesterday

Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union candidate Sean Ryan has dropped out of the Presidential race, following allegations of sexual harassment made by Trinity News yesterday.

In a post on Ryan’s campaign Facebook page, he said: “I reject the allegations of sexual harassment against me. This afternoon, I met with Junior Dean, Tim Trimble, and discussed the charges made against me. I am very happy to comply with the relevant procedures. I remain confident that I will be able to fully clear my name of any charges of sexual harassment.”

He continues: “I nevertheless want to apologise unreservedly for any offence caused by my remarks as published in student publications. I do now understand that certain language I used in the past was inappropriate and has has fallen short of what is expected of a TCDSU President and what I expect of myself. It was never my intention to cause hurt or offence to anyone. Regarding the racial slur quoted in the article, this was totally and utterly reprehensible and not representative of my views of members of the black community. Again, I deeply and sincerely apologise to anyone who this comment hurt.”

“I would like to sincerely apologise to my campaign team for the way this has ended. Many people have believed in me and worked tirelessly to help me. I know they are totally shocked and dismayed by these allegations and by my words. I cannot thank you enough for your support and your belief in me. I am so sorry for the upset this has caused to campaigners who I know are personally devastated by these events. I owe each and every one of you a personal apology and a debt of gratitude. The situation that has led me to resign is my doing and mine alone.”

Trinity News first reported on a series of inappropriate Facebook messages and Snapchats yesterday, with Ryan appearing to request nude photographs, oral sex, as well as making a racist comment. The allegations are currently being investigated by the Junior Dean, Professor Tim Trimble.

Ryan went onto dispute the claims in a separate Facebook post made on his campaign page last night.

If you have been affected by any of the issues in this article, you can contact these services:

TCD Counselling Service 01896 1407

Niteline.ie 1800 793 793

Welfare Officer: available to meet for support, [email protected]

DRCC: 1800 778 888

One in Four: (01) 6624070

Niamh Lynch

Niamh was Editor of the 65th volume of Trinity News. She is a History and Politics graduate.