Ten new start-ups participate in Trinity’s newly launched European digital health incubator programme

EIT Health is the first of its kind in Ireland

Trinity’s Innovation & Entrepreneurship Hub in partnership with the European Institute for Innovation and Technology (EIT Health) launched the EIT Health Validator today.

The first of its kind in Ireland, the EIT Health Validator programme aims to provide support for digital health start-ups dedicated to promoting healthy living and improving health care systems.

10 start-ups across Europe have been chosen to participate in the 8-week intensive programme, with teams consisting of health and science researchers, medical technicians and engineers, and business developers.

The programme will consist of six weeks of mentoring in Trinity and a two-week tour of health hubs across Europe: Delft University of Technology, Netherlands, Grenoble École de Management, France, Imperial College London and Newcastle University.

The chosen Irish start-ups include BrainyApp, which allows users to monitor their fatigue, and Incareview, which allows caregivers to design a care plan for their patients. Meanwhile, Pinpoint Innovations of University of Limerick have created a program designed to make patient flow more efficient.

Fionnuala Healy, CEO of the Innovation & Entrepreneurship Hub at Trinity said: “Here at Trinity we are very proud of our standing as the number one university in Europe for producing entrepreneurial graduates and we’re looking forward to working with these high calibre teams over the coming weeks to help them validate their business idea and identify markets.”

Health Service Executive and CEP of eHealth Ireland Professor Martin Curley added: “There is a need globally to focus on technologies and innovations that can keep healthy people well, enhance quality of care and quality of life at the most efficient cost. It is exciting to see and learn about the new technologies that have been developed by these exciting new European start-ups to improve healthcare systems across the world.”

The programme is the latest addition to the list of entrepreneurial activities that the Innovation and Entrepreneurship Hub has established in Trinity, which counts LaunchBox and Blackstone Launchpad among its successes.

Danielle Olavario

Danielle Olavario is a former SciTech Editor of Trinity News. She is a Microbiology graduate.