This week in Trinity: all about self love

How to prepare for the storm that is St. Patrick’s weekend

As the last remains of snow melts off campus and Dublin Bus finally restarts all of its routes, we welcome in another week in college. At this point, the wild rush of assignments has hit; the stress has set in. But fear not, we have another exciting, fun-filled week coming up in Trinity to distract you from your studies and prepare you for the wonderful weekend that will be St. Patrick’s Day.

This week, Trinity celebrates Body and Soul, a week entirely dedicated to discussing our mental state and bodies. With a variety of events throughout the week, Monday will kick off the festivities under the theme “social media”. The first event is a community walk organiSed by Know your Neighbour and DUPA, aimed at getting us all to branch out, make some friends and get to see some amazing sights. That evening will also see “Paint by the Pints” at the Pav, where you can make your own masterpiece.

Tuesday is relatively more quiet, with only one Body and Soul event. Fully utilising the theme of “healthy relationships,” the “How to Support a Friend Workshop” will take place in the Global Room at 4pm, where you can learn how to lend a shoulder to friends in need. Aside from the Body and Soul Week events, Law Soc will be hosting the final of the McCann FitzGerald Natalie Forde Memorial Maidens Competition that evening in the GMB at 6:50pm, where each team will be debating “This House Would Live in a World with No Lies”.

In contrast, Wednesday is a jam-packed day – make sure you bring a change of clothes for Trinity’s Indian Soc event Holi, a highly anticipated annual event! Get to Front Square at 1pm for a vibrant afternoon, where you and your friends will engage in a colour war alongside hundreds of other students. At 3pm head over to Seomra na Gaeilge with Tradsoc for some beginner tin-whistle workshops, suitable for anyone looking for a new hobby. That evening, The Hist will be hosting their weekly debate at 7:30pm in the GMB, where they will be arguing “This House Believes the West has Failed the Developing World”. If you’re looking for an after for this event, simply head over to Tramline at 8:30pm for the semi-final of Trinity Ents Battle of The Bands. With the winner proceeding to the final round, the prize up for grabs is none other than a performance slot at Trinity Ball. In terms of Body and Soul events, all interests will be catered for as the day includes a TCDSU Cookbook demonstration, a yoga workshop and an all-inclusive food fair These events keep in line with the theme of “eating disorders – non-specified” and are a great way to learn more about the cause. Locations and times of these events will be available online closer to the time

Thursday is no less busy. With a theme of safe drug use and harm reduction, the Anna Liffey Project will be on campus hosting a workshop based on raising awareness of safe drug use. Meanwhile there is a great variety of evening events for you to choose from. In the Arts Block at 6:30pm, Richard Swan will be returning to Litsoc to speak on creative writing and why we should continue to write our own stories. But if literature isn’t for you, head to the Atrium at 6pm to see DU Germanic Society’s “Through the Lens” photo exhibition, detailing a student’s experience while studying abroad. At 7pm, Trinity Politics Society will be hosting their Big Fat Political Quiz of the Year in Oldham, with all proceeds going to SUAS. But if you were lucky enough to secure a ticket, DU Music Ball will be taking off at 7:30pm in Café en Seine, for what is bound to be a spectacular night.

As Friday rolls in and our week draws to a close, end in it the perfect mindset by attending the Body and Soul events based on the theme “body perceptions”. These events include ChillVille in the relaxation room, mediation organised by DU Meditation and lastly Body Euphoria, to celebrate what truly makes you special. The Hist will also be hosting their Fresher’s Masters 2018 all day in the GMB for anyone with an affection for debating. Of course, there’s no better way to bring in Patrick’s weekend than by attending the BoraBora x Ents – St. Patrick’s Eve Rooftop Party in Bad Bobs at 10:30pm. So, make sure you get out there, dance your socks off and prepare for a truly Irish weekend.

Mairéad McCarthy

Mairéad McCarthy is a former Deputy Life Editor for Trinity News.