This week in Trinity: Empowerment, engagement, and the Eighth Amendment

Trinity Life provide the only guide you’ll need to what’s going on in Trinity this week.

This week looks set to be dominated by events taking place as part of Empowerment Week., a week of activism run by the Students’ Union in collaboration with college societies as well as external organisations. There will be workshops, panel discussions and talks from esteemed guest speakers taking place throughout the week.

The events will focus on a range of issues from tenants’ rights to a new campaign to eradicate the use of single-use plastics. There will also be a huge emphasis on the Repeal the Eighth campaign, with many of the events featuring the word ‘choice’ in their title, including the final hurrah of the week, the March for Choice taking place on Saturday afternoon. The sixth march of its kind in Dublin, it is expected to attract a crowd of over 20,000, with Trinity students sure to be well-represented amongst them.

Other highlights of Empowerment Week are sure to come in the shape of Law Soc’s Feminist Panel with Irish actress and comedian Tara Flynn and various Know Your Neighbour meet-ups which will take place in pubs in various residential areas around the city such as Rathmines, Drumcondra and Phibsborough, to allow students to get to know other students living in their area.

Aside from Empowerment Week’s packed schedule of events and activism, there are other interesting events taking place on campus throughout this week, which ought not to be overshadowed. For any Halls residents eager to get a taste of the positively fascinating world of student journalism, Trinity Life’s very own Aoife McColgan, JCR Publications Officer, will be hosting a Publications Workshop in Oldham House on Monday night at 8pm, where editors and deputy editors from Trinity News will be giving the low down on how to get involved in any section of the paper, be it writing, photography, social media, editing or graphic design.

Also on Monday,The Hist will play host to Reverend Al Sharpton, civil rights campaigner and former White House advisor under the Obama administration. He will be awarded with the Historical Society’s Gold Medal for Outstanding Contribution to Public Discourse. During a week of student activism and empowerment, this is surely one event not to be missed.