This week in Trinity: from Amanda Knox’s lawyer to a night of Indian literature

With speakers ranging from Amanda Knox’s lawyers to Dr Rhona Mahony, there’s a variety of interesting events taking place this week on campus.

To avoid the miserable, cold weather, Trinity has a wide range of society events on in week ten to keep us interested and most importantly, out of the library.

On Monday, the Hist are holding a debating competition called the Oscar Wilde Card competition from 11am to 6pm in the GMB. For anyone who missed Maidens, this is the perfect opportunity to get involved as the winner secures themselves a place in the Maidens final.

TCDSU’s Open Forum on the Eighth Amendment will take place on Tuesday in the Joly Theatre in the Hamilton from 7pm. Speakers include Professor Oran Doyle of Trinity’s Law School, and Dr. Marion Dyer, as well as student speakers representing both sides of the debate. DU Music will welcome violinist Helena Wood at 4pm on Tuesday, though the location is undecided as of yet so keep an eye on DU Music’s Facebook page for more information.

In Chaplin’s Bar, DU Comedy are having a comedy night from 7pm until 10pm so bop along for a few laughs. Also on Tuesday evening, the Global Room is hosting a collaboration between Lit Soc and Trinity Indian Society who are teaming up for a night of Indian literature at 6.30pm. They will be focusing on literature from Urdu and Bengali.

Jung Chang, author and historian of Chinese history, will visit the Hist on Wednesday in the GMB at 3.30pm. Later that day, Lit Soc will be meeting at The Hairy Lemon at 7.30pm for a quiz, giving you the perfect excuse to talk about Harry Potter and have a drink. For all the foodies out there, TES and DU Food & Drink are hosting a talk on the Future of the Food Industry at 6pm in the MacNeill Theatre.

On Thursday, DU Amnesty welcome Dr. Rhona Mahony, Master of the National Maternity Hospital Holles Street, from 5pm in Regent House for a talk on Maternal Morbidity. As the referendum on the Eighth Amendment draws ever closer, this event is worth going to for any students curious about what women’s healthcare looks like in other countries.

Carlo Dalla Vedova, Amanda Knox’s lawyer, is speaking to Law Soc on Friday at 3pm in Room 2041B in the Arts Block. Writer and activist, Amanda Knox was wrongfully convicted of the murder of Meredith Kercher and spent four years in prison.

Running from Monday to Saturday, DU Players presents A Modest Proposal, which is said to be “equal parts comedy, tragedy and musical”. It will be held in Player’s theatre and begins at 7pm every night except for Thursday when it will start at the earlier time of 4pm. As a show performed, written by and managed by students, why not head along to show your support?

Georgina Francis

Georgina Francis is a former Managing Editor, Life Editor and Assistant Life Editor of Trinity News.