This week in Trinity: Marching, mental health, and much more

Trinity Life provide the only guide you’ll need for what’s going on in Trinity this week.

As the madness and excitement of both Freshers’ week and the first week of lectures passes, our lives begin to return to somewhat of a reality. However this return to the usual slog of essay deadlines and assignments can render the college week decidedly monotonous and leave us all yearning for a society event to drag us from the lecture hall or the library for an hour or two. Luckily between a countrywide Students’ Union campaign and various high-profile events happening across campus, there’s sure to be something going on to keep us stimulated for another week.

The March for Education taking place on Wednesday is set to draw a huge crowd of students from around the country, particularly if last year’s march is anything to go by. The march is a Union of Students of Ireland campaign calling on the Irish government and the Joint Oireachtas Committee on Education and Skills to make a historic long-term decision and invest in the publicly-funded third level education model as outlined in the Cassells Report. This would be an alternative solution to the income-contingent loan scheme which the USI claim would create a burden of over €20,000 in debt for many who wish to receive third-level education in Ireland. The USI is also calling, by way of the march, for further investment in the third-level grant scheme to cope with the rising cost of living for students in Ireland.

There will also be a number of other events taking place across campus which will focus on distinctly Irish issues. The first of which is a panel discussion being hosted by Trinity College Law Review and FLAC entitled ‘Blasphemy and the Irish Constitution’. It promises to discuss the relevance of blasphemy laws in both Ireland and globally, which is sure to prove incredibly interesting with a blasphemy referendum almost definitely on the horizon. The second is this week’s Phil debate; This House Would Welcome a United Ireland, which promises an evening of flamboyant nationalism and cheap rosé, a sure-fire recipe for a good time.

For a little light relief from such pressing issues as these DU Players are holding two events which could serve as the perfect pre-party to any early in the week outings. The first, on Monday, is a High School Musical 2 sing-along come drinking game in the Players’ Theatre, whilst on Tuesday the theatre will be host to a 39 Steps Prohibition Party brimming with 1930s’ glamour, to raise money for their upcoming drama, The 39 Steps.

To round of the week Law Soc will host former Blizzards’ frontman and passionate mental health advocate Niall Breslin who will present on Mental Health and Resilience. With the academic year just getting into full swing, there could be no better time for a discussion such as this concerning positive mental health and dealing with set-backs. Except a crowd in the Global Room on Friday at 2pm.