This week in Trinity: Quidditch, Battle of the Bands and a petting farm

From EU Border discussions to Quidditch tournaments, here is your round up of whats happening this week

It’s the first week of Hilary Term and to ease us back into the new term, societies across campus have a range of events lined up. From the usual controversial debates to wild nights out and even a petting farm, there’s something for everyone. This week is also Refreshers Week, which means there is a chance for anyone to sign up and get involved in societies you may have missed out on during the first term.

For anyone who has been left traumatised from Schols, a petting farm will be perfect to cheer you up after your two day Christmas holiday. DU AgSoc will invite farm animals from guinea pigs to lambs into College tomorrow, Tuesday. The event is running from 12pm-2pm on the Chemistry lawn and entry is €2, or free with an AgSoc membership card. Later on in the evening Trinity’s Cancer Society will be launching their 2018 Naked Calender in the Pav at 7pm.

The calendars cost €5 with the money going to a more than worthy cause. Lit Soc are hosting a poetry slam in the Players Theatre from 7pm, whether you are interested in performing or just wish to see poets in action, it’s set to be a fun night.

Looking forward to Wednesday, the GMB hosts the Hist’s first debate of Hilary Term, with the motion ‘This House Supports the Right to Leave the SU’. No doubt this debate will present interesting views from both sides.

If you aren’t in the mood for watching students bash or defend the SU, Trinity’s Long Room Hub Arts and Humanities Research Institute will be discussing the future of Europe with a focus on borders. The event, which will take place at 7pm in the Edmund Burke Theatre, has already attracted a lot of attention so be sure to get a ticket to avoid disappointment.

Thursday presents the opportunity to blend serious topics with a fun night out, beginning with the Bram Stoker’s Club event in the GMB at 3pm. Sophie Furlong Tighe’s paper ‘Not Just Thin Girls: Eating Disorders and Who They Affect’ will address the stigma surrounding eating disorders and how it affects people’s lives. Later, Tramline plays host to heat three of Battle of the Bands at 8.30pm. The line up has yet to be announced but following on the success of previous ones it’s sure to be a good night and the event is free entry.

Thursday night offers many events with the Phil teaming up with the Theological Society to bring you ‘This House, As God, Regrets the Creation of the Human Race’ at 7 30pm in the GMB. Come to hear debaters rejoice human kinds greatest triumphs, and greatest downfalls, to decide whether it was all a big mistake. Meanwhile, in Doyles DU History is holding a pub quiz. With tickets only €5 per team, the night promises “to awaken your brains after the festive period”.

Margrethe Vestager will be speaking to the Hist on Friday at 12PM in the Exam Hall. The Hist describe the former deputy Prime Minister of Denmark and European Competition Commissioner as “arguably one of the most powerful individuals in the EU”, and will be discussing her career experiences as well as the future of the EU.

This week also sees the start to Trinity’s Fringe Festival with DU Players, following submissions from new writers in the last term they are now set to be performed on stage. On Friday at 7PM ‘Temporary’ will be performed followed by other performances on Saturday like ‘What’s A Tim Tam?’ at 7PM and ‘At the Very Beginning’ at 4PM. At 11AM on Saturday will be the much talked about Quidditch match. Calling all Harry Potter and sports fans, its sure to be a fun way to start the weekend and round off the first week back.

Georgina Francis

Georgina Francis is a former Managing Editor, Life Editor and Assistant Life Editor of Trinity News.