Trad, Pop and Players- Philleadh ar an gCóisir

Ross Hunter reviews the Irish extravaganza at DTwo.

For the third night of F R E S H, DTwo provided an unlikely home for the halfway point of the TCDSU Ents Freshers’ Week lineup; Philleadh ar an gCóisir. Ents, An Cumann Gaelach and The Phil joined forces to present an ‘ancient Irish extravaganza’, with Le Galaxie and TradSoc providing the entertainment for the night.  

The night kicked off with the official pre drinks in the Players Theatre where the combination of banging tunes and a few scoops got the night off to a firey start. Soon after, we journeyed to the Harcourt Street where we braced ourselves for a night of Irish music and culture.

As I sashayed into the club ready for the night of dirty dancing ahead, it was soon clear the evening was going to be bopping, with an unusual mix of contemporary pop and Irish trad working surprisingly well in one venue.  

The venue was the perfect location for the event, with the Irish music upstairs and the classic pop tunes downstairs satisfying a wide variety of music tastes. As we entered the club, TradSoc greeted us with a couple of hornpipes and jigs while onlookers danced along enthusiastically.

Meanwhile downstairs, the mood changed from Celtic to Chris Brown. Pop tunes were aplenty and people bopped and boogied, enjoying the buzzing Freshers Week atmosphere.

In the beer garden,  Le Galaxie, far from their usual set up, played an alternative pop DJ set. Their funky tunes definitely kept the party going. After their recent gig at Electric Picnic, there was a definite buzz among the crowd.

The night proved a success, due to its fun and engaging atmosphere.  The live music provided by Le Galaxie and Trad Soc were highlights, both eliciting rapturous responses from the crowd.  

Old friends were reunited after a long summer of working and travelling, while new friendships were formed amongst the many freshers in attendance.