Trinity academics awarded at Trinity Innovation Awards 2017

Professor of Biochemistry Luke O’Neill received the Provost Innovation Award

Trinity researchers received accolades for their academic work at the Trinity Innovation Awards 2017, which were held on campus last night.

The highest achievement, the Provost Innovation Award, was awarded to Professor of Biochemistry Luke O’Neill. O’Neill has contributed to numerous peer-reviewed journals and his works has led to seven patent portfolios, five licenses and more than 15 industry collaborations.

In addition, his work has resulted in the formation of two startups, which are Trinity campus companies Opsona Therapeutics and Imflazome Ltd. These companies focus on advancing new drug remedies for various inflammatory diseases.

Provost Patrick Prendergast attended to event. Speaking of O’Neill’s achievements, the provost stated: “Through his innovative research and the commercialisation around it, he is making a real difference in society, by developing new drug therapies and improving the lives of people with diseases such as arthritis, cancer, parkinson’s disease among others.

”Trinity academics have consistently achieved excellence in discovery and innovation, and Luke is one of our great exemplars in that field,” he added.

Eight additional Innovation Award winners followed Professor O’Neill. Dr Sabrina Brennan,  the principal investigator in E-Health at the Science Foundation Ireland (SFI) ADAPT centre at Trinity, Linda Doyle, Professor of Engineering and Arts, and Professor of Medical Gerontology Rose Anne Kenny were all recognised for research and innovation that had a notable impact on society.

Winners that demonstrated a socio-economic and commercial influence through their innovative research included Jane Farrar, Professor of Genetics, and Adjunct Professor Frank Boland.

Acknowledged in the “one’s-2-watch” category were Dr Parvaneh Mokarian, a research fellow at the School of Chemistry, and Dr Matthew Campbell, a research fellow at the School of Genetics and Microbiology.

To conclude the ceremony, Professor Tim Foster, Fellow Emeritus at the School of Genetics and Microbiology, was bestowed the Lifetime Achievement Award for his involvement in advancing significant human and veterinary vaccines.

In the past 30 years, Trinity campus companies have collected over €200 million in private and investment, created more than 3,000 jobs, and have contributed to over €1.2 billion in exports, according to Leonard Hobbs, Director of Trinity Research and Innovation. The award ceremony acknowledged academics who contributed to these successes.

Caroline Boyle

Caroline Boyle is a current Deputy News Editor of Trinity News. She is a Senior Fresh BESS student, and a former Senior Reporter.