Trinity Ball ticket holders to be refunded €7

The refund is the result of a deal made with company Plynk

Trinity Ents has announced that all Trinity Ball ticket holders will be refunded €7 from the original price of €87, due to a new sponsorship deal. In a Facebook post, Trinity Ents said: “As a thank you to everyone who bought tickets to the ball this year we’ve partnered with Plynk: The Money Messenger to give you back the €7 extra you paid for a ticket.” There is further instruction to download the app in order to avail of the refund.

Commenting on the refund, Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) Ents Officer, Padraic Rowley, said: “It’s great to see we can give back this year even with the price increase. Even though the price increase was out of our control with the Luas line, I feel students will appreciate the chance to get the money back.”

Tickets prices for the Ball were originally increased from €80 to €87, due to the additional acts required for an earlier opening time, alongside “security and site personnel costs”. This was the first time in nearly a decade that there was an increase in ticket prices for the event.

The Trinity Ball Committee implemented a number of changes to the organisation of Trinity Ball, which include starting the event an hour earlier. The changes came about due to the ongoing Luas works outside College and “also take into account that in the longer term Luas trams will be operating every day”. Gates will open for Trinity Ball at 9pm on the night, with the first act starting at that time, instead of the previous time of 10pm. Attendees will be required to be inside campus by 10.30pm with the Ball ending at the usual time on 5am. A new third entrance will also be in place at Westland Row.

London-based indie rock band Bloc Party are set to headline this year’s Ball, while homegrown acts Hare Squead, The Strypes, Little Hours, and King Kong Company are also set to play. The Ball sold out in just under 5 hours this year.

The Trinity Ball Committee implemented a number of changes to the organisation of Trinity Ball, which include starting the event an hour earlier. The changes are being implemented because of the ongoing Luas works outside College and “also take into account that in the longer term Luas trams will be operating every day”. Gates will open for Trinity Ball at 9pm on the night, with the first act starting at the same time, rather than the previous time of 10pm. Attendees will be required to be inside campus by 10.30pm with the Ball ending at the usual time on 5am. A new third entrance will also be in place at Westland Row.

Additional reporting by Niamh Lynch.

Oisin Vince Coulter

Oisin was Editor for the 63rd volume of Trinity News. He is a Philosophy and Classical Civilisations graduate.