Trinity defeat Louth to kick-start season

Trinity American Football racked up 35 points in the comprehensive win

Trinity American Football team got their season back on track with a comprehensive 35-6 victory over Louth on Sunday evening.

An early special teams mistake by Louth left Trinity’s offense in the Maverick’s red zone, but some dropped passes meant Trinity had to settle for a field goal; Jordan Mulvaney putting TCD up 3.

Trinity’s defense proved far too much for Louth, forcing the first of many 3 and outs. Trinity’s offense didn’t disappoint this time out – driving well down the field before Quarterback Ben Dowling sent a deep ball to Receiver Conor O’Dwyer for the touchdown; a missed Point After Touchdown (PAT) left the score at 9-0.

The ball was quickly back in the offense’s hands though, after safety Raphi Stärk grabbed his third interception of the season. With the offense set up just behind their own half, running back Rory O’Dwyer took the handoff, bounced outside, taking advantage of excellent blocking from Stepan Lavrouk and Andrew Kharchenko, juked out a linebacker, followed the blocks his older sibling Wigwam provided, and took the ball 60 yards for the touchdown. Another blocked PAT left Trinity up 15-0.

Louth continued to struggle offensively, Trinity’s defense not giving their QB any time and stuffing the runs with Mulvaney, Erick Lomas and Jack McKenna making big tackles. Trinity finished off the second quarter with a strong drive downfield, Dowling hitting Stärk and captain Len van Dalsen on the quick-outs, before throwing a deep wheel back to Stärk for another touchdown. Trinity went for two extra points, with Dowling firing in a quick slant to Eoghan O’Dwyer to give Trinity a 23-0 lead at the half.

Trinity came out strong again in the second half, intense pressure from Blaise Connor and Patrick Sullivan gave Louth no hope of gathering momentum.

A strip sack from Thomas O’Hara gave the offense possession once more to start the fourth after a lackluster third. Trinity drove efficiently again, Dowling connecting with Van Dalsen multiple times, before ultimately going back to Stärk on a play mirroring his first score. After a failed 2-point attempt, Trinity led 29-0.

Louth’s offense got moving but still couldn’t put together a solid drive. Trinity capitalized quickly with Dowling going back to back on a deep seam play to Van Dalsen before hitting him again on a shallow cross for another TCD touchdown. Trinity’s woes at the 2-pt line continued with another missed conversation attempt leaving the score at 35-0.

Louth suffered a major injury at the start of their following drive, with the maverick player having to be taken away in an ambulance. Louth ran hard and drove the ball downfield, scoring on an easy pass touchdown, putting the score at 35-6. The game had to be called there with roughly 5 minutes still to play due to the lack of a standby ambulance and no immediate replacement available.

Trinity will come away from this game content, but determined to build on it and push on, as they face tougher opposition in two weeks time against long time rivals, the Belfast Trojans.