Trinity graduate to participate in Rose of Tralee

Trinity graduate Eva Cooney, who graduated this year with a first class honors in psychology, will be representing Westmeath

Trinity graduate Eva Cooney will be representing Westmeath at this year’s Rose of Tralee International Festival. Cooney graduated this year with a first class honors in psychology and worked in Trinity’s Global Relations Office on their social media campaigns.

Speaking to Trinity News, the 23 year old from Glasson expressed her excitement regarding her upcoming participation in the festival, saying: “The last few months have been amazing, totally flown by. It’s such a brilliant experience and it’s only going to keep getting better by the sounds of it.”

“I know some people see the festival as dated but honestly there is such a selection of accomplished women from Irish communities all over the world. I think it’s as relevant as ever.”

Speaking of her time in Trinity, she said the experience was “brilliant”, continuing: “I’ve just finished my four year degree in psychology and I can’t imagine having done it anywhere else. [I’ve] made the best friends and had a great time with Psych Soc and on the Global Relations social media team!”

On the possibility of her victory, Cooney said: “I can’t imagine winning it to be honest but if I did I would definitely try to visit as many places around the world as possible.”

The festival will be held from August 16 to 22. On Thursday, 16 of the 64 Roses will be selected to qualify for the TV selection. The Rose of Tralee 2017 will then be announced on Tuesday 22, at the end of the festival.

The Rose of Tralee International Festival is based on the William Mulchinock love song “Rose of Tralee”. At the festival, women around the world celebrate their Irish heritage and compete to become the Rose of Tralee. Chicago’s Rose Maggie McEldowney was crowned the 2016 Rose.

Seana is a 4th year Geology student and current Deputy News Editor of Trinity News.

Editors

Sarah Meehan

Aisling Crabbe
Natalia Duda
Sarah Morel
Mike Dolan
John Tierney
Naoise Dolan
Sarah Larragy
Mubbashir Ali Sultan
Nadia Bertaud
Daniel Tatlow