Trinity joins Age-Friendly universities network

The move will ensure that Trinity is inclusive of students, staff and visitors of all ages

Trinity College has joined a new Age-Friendly university network. The new initiative launched by Provost Patrick Prendergast will see the implementation of 10 principles of an Age-friendly institution.  

As part of the initiative, Trinity will encourage older students to participate in all university activities, recognise the different educational needs of older students, and will broaden access to online educational resources for older students to ensure diversity.

Trinity will also ensure that the university’s research agenda is informed by the requirements of an ageing society and will aim to increase access for older adults to the university’s array of health and wellness programs and it’s arts and cultural activities.

Speaking to Trinity News, Equality Officer, Aoife Crawford said: AgeFriendly Trinity is about making sure that all members of the Trinity community are equally enabled to participate in all that the university has to offer, regardless of age; it is also about highlighting the benefits the university reaps from having a diversity of ages among its students and staff.”

The Age-Friendly University network was established in Dublin City University (DCU). It aims to set a strategic direction to respond to demographic changes through its research agenda, curriculum development and community engagement. In adopting these principles Trinity joins a growing network of universities from Ireland, the United Kingdom, Canada and the United States.

Sarah Meehan

Jenny Corcoran
Harriet Bruce
Isabelle Griffin
Maha Sultan
Megan Luddy
Lucie Rondeau Du Noyer
Amanda Cliffe
Constance Millar
Nicole O'Sullivan
Chloe Aitken