Trinity launches dual degree programme with Columbia University

Both Universities will award a degree in Arts and Humanities upon graduation.

Photo by Joe McCallion

Trinity has announced the start of a four year dual degree programme with Columbia University. The programme will see students study for two years in Trinity followed by two years in Columbia University, New York. Students will graduate with a BA in Arts and Humanities from both universities.

The first group of students will begin the programme next Michaelmas term. The subjects offered include English Studies, European Studies, History, or Middle Eastern and European Languages and Cultures. Students will pay regular student fees to Trinity College but will pay US fees when studying at Columbia University.

Columbia University’s Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, Professor David Madigan and Trinity’s Provost Patrick Prendergast signed the agreement last week.

In a statement Prendergast said: “These Dual BA Programmes  offer a truly international educational experience for our students.” and described the programme’s launch as a “historic” day. Professor Madigan said that Trinity is a “world class university” and that the university are “thrilled” to be Trinity’s “first partner in an undergraduate Dual BA programme”.

Madigan continued: “The collaboration between our faculties has created a Dual BA experience that combines the best of our academic programs, at a scale and depth that will benefit our students with an education that is both Irish and American.”

Trinity has said the launch of the programme has attracted significant international interest in over twenty countries, with applications from the UK, India, Brazil, Ireland, China and the US.  Columbia University offers similar degree programmes with the City University of Hong Kong and the Paris Institute of Political Sciences (Science Po).