Trinity maul Malone to a bonus victory

Score:

Trinity 30
Malone 10

Trinity gained five valuable points and a good win for their efforts on a cold but beautifully clear sunny winter’s day in College Park on Saturday.
The game was played on a gluepot of a field with a near frozen area in the Pavilion corner which is shaded by the trees. Trinity started brightly putting their Ulster opponents under pressure. But it was Malone who opened the scoring with a penalty by their out half Pentland.
Trinity scored their first try when, after some impressive ball carrying by the forwards, the ball was spread wide by the backs for Full back Andy Wallace to glide over in the corner for a well executed try.
After several phases near the Malone line Trinity out-half Dave Joyce kicked a drop goal. Minutes later Malone got their only try when they drove a line out from close in. The score was dubious to say the least as they looked short of the line and held up, and the smiles of the Malone boys walking back to the halfway line told the story.
Just before half time Trinity struck again when hooker Mark Murdoch charged up the middle to set up a quick ruck sucking in several defenders on the half way line, the ball was quickly moved through the hands to outside centre Conor Colclough who shimmied and dummied his way on a 40 metre break to deliver perfectly to prop James Gethings (what was he doing there?) who received and passed the ball in two steps (honestly!) and put the rampaging blindside flanker Alan Mathews streaking away into the corner for a fine try.
16-10 up at half time Trinity knew they had to control their discipline at the breakdown as the penalty count was high in the opposition favour, and was the major contributor to Malone staying in touch on the scoreboard. This they did and the visitors never really got into the Trinity third of the field in the second half.
Trinity scored in the opening minutes of the half when from a counter attack #8 Brian Coyle uncharacteristically sidestepped his way through the first line of defence before passing to centre Conor Mills who carried the ball deep into Malone territory, the ball was recycled quickly and moved wide to second row Scott LaValla who broke free out wide and into the Malone 22.  James Gethings was involved again when he charged for the line, from the ensuing ruck Scrum half Mick McLoughlin put Mark Murdoch diving over midway between the goalposts and touch line with a reverse pass.  
23-10 up, Trinity had to go for the four tries and bonus point, but the Visitors defence looked up to the task and as the game moved into the dying minutes Trinity looked to be losing their way. Trinity out- half Dave Joyce had other ideas and from a maul close in, he weaved his way inside the drifting defence to sprint over under the posts to cap a impressive personal performance including scoring in all four possible methods try, drop goal, two conversions and one penalty.
This was a highly committed performance by the students who played some good attacking rugby considering the conditions. They now take a ten day break from action when they play promotion chasers Bective in Donnybrook on Wednesday 10th February 8pm Kick off.