Trinity Senator Lynn Ruane announces first book

The book delves into Ruane’s life experiences

Former Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) President Lynn Ruane announced the upcoming release of her first book this morning.

Ruane, a current Senator for Trinity, announced the new book on Twitter this morning. She tweeted: “I have put my heart and soul into writing this and it covers many difficult parts of my life.”

The book is called “People Like Me” and shows a young Ruane on the cover. Gill Books are publishing the book, which is expected to be released in September.

“In the hope that I can help others and raise awareness, I have pulled back the curtain on my life to speak about everything from addiction and crime to my experience of #metoo,” Ruane tweeted.

“It has been a rollercoaster having to dive into many parts of my life that I thought I had left in the past. I can honestly say after many tears I am feeling proud and like I shed another armour of protection,” she continued.

Ruane was the TCDSU President in the 2015/2016 academic year. She entered College through the Trinity Access Programme (TAP) and was vocal during her presidency about the importance of opening access to third level education.

Ruane was elected as an Independent Senator to the Seanad in April 2016. She was elected on the fifteenth count, unseating opponent Sean Barrett for the third seat on the Trinity panel alongside Senators Ivana Bacik and David Norris.

Earlier this year, Ruane voiced her opposition to College’s decision to introduce a €450 flat rate for supplemental exams and said that she “completely” supported the Take Back Trinity campaign. Ruane contacted the College Board to “express her concern” over the fees.

“People Like Me” is available to preorder on Easons, Dubray, and Amazon’s websites.

Lauren Boland is the current News Editor of Trinity News. She is a Junior Sophister English Literature and Sociology student, and a former Assistant News Editor.

Jenny Corcoran
Harriet Bruce
Isabelle Griffin
Maha Sultan
Megan Luddy
Lucie Rondeau Du Noyer
Amanda Cliffe
Constance Millar
Nicole O'Sullivan
Chloe Aitken