Trinity Social Democrats no longer operating as college society

Low membership has forced the group to cease operating as a society

Trinity Social Democrats have announced that they will no longer be operating as a full college society when the academic year resumes in September, due to low membership. 

The announcement was made on the group’s Facebook page to explain that due to “circumstances beyond the current committee’s control” the group has been left with no choice but to discontinue as a full college society. Anthony Keane, the chair of Trinity Social Democrats this year, told Trinity News that the group was “really hampered by [their] lack of presence at last year’s Freshers’ Week”. 

In the same announcement, the group stated that they plan to organise events next year and increase their membership. The group hopes to resume their status as a full college society after the upcoming academic year.

The Trinity Social Democrats’ Facebook page has also called for helpers to participate in the group’s rebuilding on the Trinity campus. Committee membership has been opened up to anyone who wishes to become involved.

The Trinity branch of the Social Democrats was set up in 2015. Unlike many other political parties, it does not have an established youth wing. During Freshers’ Week, the party participated in the “Parties Debate” along with several Trinity branches of Irish political parties such as Young Fine Gael, People Before Profit, and Labour Youth.

Cian Mac Lochlainn

Cian Mac Lochlainn is an Economics and Politics student, and a Contributing Writer for Trinity News.