Trinity staff instructed to screenshot and remove negative Facebook reviews

The email also instructed staff to “let us know about the activity”

Trinity staff have been instructed in an email to screenshot and remove negative Facebook reviews published on various College related pages.

The email, sent by Sharon Campbell, Trinity’s Deputy Head of Communications, read: “There have been instances of protest by some students in relation to the new supplemental exam charge where they have been posting negative comments to the review sections of specific university Facebook pages. We are requesting that if your area has a Facebook page please turn off the review section for the time being.”

The email continued: “If your page has received negative comments please copy or take screen grabs of comments before disabling the review section and let us know about the activity.”

Instructions are also given on how to disable Facebook reviews. The Public Affairs and Communications Department did not respond to a request for comment at the time of publication.

As part of the “Take Back Trinity” protest in response to the decision by College Board to introduce a flat fee of €450 to sit supplemental exams, students targeted the Trinity College Dublin Global, Book of Kells and Book of Kells Gift Shop pages with hundreds of one star reviews.

Students have since occupied the Dining Hall, as well as forcing the closure of Front Gate and the Book of Kells twice.

Trinity Access Programme (TAP) students and Higher Education Access Route (HEAR) students will be exempt from the new charge, and Board will make funding available to the Senior Tutor to deal with cases of financial hardship which might arise as a result of the decision.

All three Trinity Senator condemned the introduction of the 450 fee in email statements to Trinity News. Senators David Norris said Trinity is “considerably overcharging,” while Senator Ivana Bacik intend to raise the issue in the Seanad and with Minister for Education and Skills Richard Bruton. Senator Lynn Ruane said that she has contacted College Board to “express her concern” and she hopes that College will “review and reverse the decision,” as the proposed supplemental fees are “wholly disproportionate to the financial means of the average student”.

On February 22, 82% of a valid poll of 3,504 students voted against the introduction of supplemental fees in a preferendum held by TCDSU. Prior to the vote, Morash told TCDSU Council that College were considering the introduction of supplemental exam fees at a rate of €200 per exam with a cap at €1000.

Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) has announced today that it will be covering the costs of workers pay that has been disrupted by the Take Back Trinity campaign.

Niamh Lynch

Niamh was Editor of the 65th volume of Trinity News. She is a History and Politics graduate.