Trinity to build a technology campus at Grand Canal Dock

The first phase of the construction will cost €250 million

Trinity are to build a technology-centered campus at Grand Canal Dock, according to The Irish Times. The first phase of the construction will cost €250 million and is part of a €1 billion plan to develop the district.

Trinity has obtained 100,000 sq m in Grand Canal Dock and plans to relocate much of its research facilities there. The campus will facilitate 200 researchers. The first phase of the build will be the development of an engineering and environmental institute.

College are also planning on building an enterprise hub where companies can rent office space. 30% of the campus will be rented out to private partners and student accommodation developers.  

Trinity are aiming to complete the project within five years, and is looking to finance the enterprise through State funding, loans from the European Bank, benefactors, and private partnerships.

According to The Irish Times, Provost Patrick Prendergast met with Education Minister, Richard Bruton, to discuss the project on September 19. In a letter between the two, Prendergast said that the project will “create 1,000 new student places in fields where there are currently significant shortages” such as engineering and computer science.

Seana Davis is a fourth year Geology student and News Editor of Trinity News.