Trinity to hold a conference on sports ethics

The conference will discuss corruption and mental health

Trinity will hold a conference on sports ethics this Saturday, November 4th. The conference will be  hosted by the Department of Religion and Theology at the Confederate School of Religions, Peace Studies and Theology. It will be held in the Trinity Long Room Hub.

The event, organised by Dr. John Scally, Adjunct Assistant Professor in Ecclesiastical History at Trinity  has said previously that  “Sport is a microcosm of society. If our language is part of who we are, our sports actually tell us who we are. When we know the way winners and losers are treated in sport and the way rules are enforced, then we know a great deal about the larger society in which it exists. The defects we find in sport: cheating, violence and drug abuse are an integral part of the wider society.”

The conference will include an interview with Joe Canning. Canning is a key centre forward for the Galway senior hurling team, and has won All-Ireland medals at minor, under-21 and senior level. The interview will be conducted by Dr. Scally  and will discuss his career and the philosophy involved in playing sports.

George Hamilton will also speak at the event. Hamilton, an RTE sports broadcaster will give a talk entitled ‘The Nation holds its breath’ which is titled after his own famous quote describing David O’Leary’s penalty against Romania in the 1990 World Cup in Italy. Since joining RTE in 1984 Hamilton has played a key role in understanding key moments in Irish sport, both positive and negative. The talk is intended to offer a personal reflection on sports ethics through the eyes of a professional commentator.

Oisín McConville, will also speak at the event. McConville an  Armagh Gaelic footballer will discuss mental health in the GAA and on his own gambling addiction and mental health.

The conference will aim to answer  whether sport in Ireland is ethical. Mike Cronin, a sports historian and co – author of “The GAA- An Oral History” and “The GAA – A People’s History’”.

Gareth O’Callaghan will speak on how to promote good mental health in Irish Sports. O’Callaghan is a practicing therapist who’s main focus is helping people to cope with mental health problems. He has become an outspoken mental health advocate and seeks to give advice to others who find themselves in a situation which he once struggled with himself.

The conference follows,  the recent issues of alleged state sponsored doping programmes in China and Russian, controversy surrounding the national anthem protests in the USA and recent problems of crowd violence.

Peter Kelly

Peter Kelly is the current Assistant Editor of Trinity News. He is a Junior Sophister Law student, and a former Deputy News Editor.