Trinity’s ADAPT Research Centre receives €50 million investment

Minister for Skills, Research and Innovation Damien English TD, yesterday launched plans for the expansion of the centre

NEWSDamien English, Minister for Skills, Research and Innovation, yesterday announced a €50 million investment in the Science Foundation of Ireland (SFI) ADAPT Research Centre for Digital Content Technology.

ADAPT works in conjunction with four universities, Trinity College Dublin, Dublin City University, University College Dublin and Dublin Institute of Technology, to develop next generation digital technologies, which aim to advance people’s lives by helping to analyse, personalise and deliver digital content more effectively for businesses and individuals.

The funding is comprised of €24 million from the Irish government via SFI investment and a further €26 million from 19 industry partners such as eBay, PayPal and Microsoft.

The expansion aims to fund the training of a further 200 highly skilled postgraduate students at ADAPT over the next six years as well as the creation of new spin-out companies and 300 high skill jobs.

Speaking yesterday at the launch, Minister English stated that: “This funding demonstrates the continued commitment shown by government to establish Ireland as a leading location for next generation digital content technologies. It will assist in powering an innovative and enterprising economy and help to create high-tech, high-quality employment opportunities in the future.”

Professor Mark Ferguson, Director General of the SFI and Chief Scientific Advisor to the government, added: “Today’s announcement of the expanded Science Foundation Ireland Research Centre ADAPT will help lead the way in Ireland’s global intelligent content revolution.” He went on to say that ADAPT looks to expand in the areas of “ICT, localisation, financial services, eCommerce, media, entertainment and games, life sciences, digital culture and humanities, and eLearning/eEducation.”

Una Harty

Úna is a third year Nanoscience student and Trinity Life editor for Trinity News.