Trinity’s Biomedical Sciences Institute receives donation to support search for autoimmune disease treatments

It is hoped that the funding will help in discovering treatments for “a range of inflammatory disease”

NEWS

AbbVie, an international biopharmaceutical company, and Science Foundation Ireland have awarded €2.5 million to Trinity Biomedical Sciences Institute for four new research topics over the next three years.

The funding has been given to help the Biomedical Sciences Institute conduct research on diseases related to inflammation.

Kingston Mills, professor of experimental immunology at Trinity’s School of Biochemistry and Immunology, will lead the project.

In a statement from College, he said: “Inflammation is a vital process in fighting infection. However, if uncontrolled, it can contribute to the development of autoimmune diseases, such as rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis, Crohn’s disease and multiple sclerosis.”

According to Mills, the project will focus on “identifying and building our understanding of the cellular and molecular mechanisms that cause inflammation,” which will help in discovering treatments for “a range of inflammatory diseases.”

Jim Sullivan, vice president of pharmaceutical discovery at AbbVie, said that the new research that the Biomedical Sciences Institute is planning will “foster continued innovation in the treatment of Crohn’s disease, one of our most important therapeutic areas. We hope to unlock the potential for significant advancements for patients with serious diseases.”

Minister for jobs, Richard Bruton, announced the new funding at the Global Irish Economic Forum in Dublin Castle earlier this month.