Trinity’s third Irish Language Scheme comes into effect

The scheme includes further commitments to promoting the Irish language within Trinity

Trinity’s third Irish Language Scheme came into effect at the beginning of this month, following approval of the Board and the Minister of Arts, Heritage and Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht affairs.

The third of Trinity’s Irish Language Schemes extends from June 2017 to June 2020, and includes further commitments to promoting the Irish language within Trinity. It includes the introduction of a voluntary emblem worn by staff and students who are prepared to interact in Irish as well as additional online course provision.

The preparation for the scheme was overseen by a subcommittee of Coiste na Gaeilge, Trinity’s Irish language committee. Both students and staff were consulted by the subcommittee, which was chaired by the provost.

The implementation of the scheme will be overseen by another subcommittee, chaired by the College Secretary, and the Irish Language Officer will advise and assist with the process of implementing the scheme.

Trinity’s first Irish language scheme came into effect in January 2010. Since then, numerous services have been introduced to College to encourage the use of the Irish language, including Seomra na Gaeilge, a suite of Irish language mini websites and the introduction of bilingual customer services in the BLU library.

An Irish Language Policy was approved by the Board in January 2016, which outlined the commitment of the College to the growth of the Irish language as a living language within College and within the wider Irish society.

An email sent by the College Secretary to all students and staff stated that, with regards to the use of the Irish language “Progress has […] been reflected in the everyday use of the language on the campus”, highlighting the high attendance of Irish language classes held on campus and An Cumann Gaelach’s  attainment of the top prize in the annual Glór na nGael competition in 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2016 as well as their nomination as a finalist in the  the Gradam Gnó na Gaeilge award for 2015.

Aisling Grace

Aisling Grace was the Editor-in-Chief of the 66th Volume of Trinity News. She was also formerly Online Editor and Deputy News Editor.