Undergraduate name “Freshman” to change to gender-neutral “Fresh”

The change was proposed by the Equality Committee

Trinity College Board has approved that the title given to first and second year undergraduate students be changed from “Freshman” to the gender-neutral term “Fresh”. The change was proposed by the Equality Committee.

In an email sent by Chris Morash,  Vice-Provost and Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) President Kevin Keane, stated that the change “will ensure that all Trinity students are equally included by the language used to describe them; be they male, female or of another gender identity”.

Morash said that the alteration of the title “is a concrete expression of the university’s commitment to gender equality, as set out in our Strategic Plan 2014-2019, Diversity and Inclusion Strategy and Athena SWAN Gender Action Plan”.          

Changes are expected to be made over a three-year implementation period. The term “Freshman” will be updated as part of routine document reviews. The changes will be made to outlets such as handbooks, social media, reports, and teaching material.

Morash also noted that the centenary of women’s suffrage is to occur in 2018, and said that “it is timely to reflect on changes in our student body since ‘Freshman’ first came into use, and to ensure those changes are reflected in the name we give them”.

Additional reporting  by Seana Davis . 

Sarah Meehan

Sarah Meehan

Sarah is a 2nd year German and Economics student and current News Editor of Trinity News.
Sarah Meehan
  • why stop there? seriously keep going..

Sarah Meehan

Jenny Corcoran
Harriet Bruce
Isabelle Griffin
Maha Sultan
Megan Luddy
Lucie Rondeau Du Noyer
Amanda Cliffe
Constance Millar
Nicole O'Sullivan
Chloe Aitken