Who are they? Your Freshers’ Ents acts unravelled

Trinity Life takes a look at F R E S H, a collection of five official Freshers’nights out on one of the most high octane weeks of the year.

Dublin city boasts one of the most diverse, creative and welcoming music scenes in Europe, and the fine people over at Trinity Ents, with some help from various societies, have made it their business to showcase a slice of the brilliant events that take place weekly through the medium of ‘F R E S H’, a collection of five official nights out taking place this Freshers’ Week, only one of the most memorable, high octane weeks ahead of you as you begin your new college adventure.

Monday

F R E S H kicks off with a rave in Café En Seine, the retro-tinged bar located seconds away from the campus. Booked for the bill is seasoned veteran and underground hero DJ Deece, whose eclectic taste and skilled mixing has made him become one of Ireland’s premier local selectors. Going from disco to new wave to house, the Newbridge native has had an astounding year from his Boiler Room debut at AVA Festival in Belfast, playing Ministry Of Sound in London and even curating his own stage on the final day of the Rave In The Woods at Electric Picnic a few weeks ago. Deece has become both an in-form and an in-demand DJ, as he has practically played every single festival on the island this year.

Signature track: Todd Terje – Inspector Norse

Joining him will be Kildare producer & DJ duo Mix & Fairbanks, who are fresh off their iconic opening set of the Casa Bacardi stage at Electric Picnic this year. They have seen their productions released by labels such as 045 Recordings and Orange Tree Edits, and have opened for acts like Hot Chip, Mylo and Phare.

Signature track: Orange Tree Edits – Back To Kingston (Mix & Fairbanks Edit)

Tuesday

This is the big one. Trinity Ents have gone out of their way to bring over superstar dj, The Magician, to headline a huge night ahead in The Academy. Another artist lauded for their set at the Casa Bacardi stage at Electric Picnic recently, The Magician is renowned for his live sets and catchy disco-inspired pop crossover hits. From I Follow Rivers to Sunlight the Belgian artist has a long list of anthems under his belt.

Signature track: The Magician – SHY (feat. Brayton Bowman)

He will be accompanied by Irish four-piece Wild Youth, who dazzled festival goers this year with their energetic brand of rock and pop. The newcomers definitely appear that they have a point to prove and as such they are not to be missed.

Signature track: Wild Youth – All Or Nothing

Wednesday

Trad Soc aim to transform DTwo into a céili house and their efforts will of course be helped by your entertaining but otherwise awful attempts at recreating Riverdance.

Signature track: Anything goes really, be it covers of pop songs or traditional tunes!

Also on the bill are Dublin synthpoppers Le Galaxie, who have become regulars on the Irish festival circuit in recent years. Featuring huge retro beats and 80s-tinged synths, the quartet successfully bridge the gap between classic pop and modern dance music.

Signature tune: Le Galaxie – Pleasure

Thursday

DUDJ collaborate with DU Snowsports and DU Surf Club to bring you a showcase of slick new venue TRAMLINE, located right next to campus. The Surf Club’s nautical theme contrasts with the chilly mountainous vibes brought by  DU Snowsports, and so mixing a captain’s hat with a ski goggles is totally acceptable. DUDJ will be itching to show the Freshers why they have the best reputation out of any DJ society of all the universities in Ireland, bringing banging house and techno beats to the forefront of the starboard. Ahoy!

Signature track: Mall Grab – Pool Party Music