College confirms funding cuts to capitated bodies

newsFunding for the capitated bodies of Trinity has been cut by 5% for the 2014/15 academic year, the heads of the Dublin University Central Athletic Club (DUCAC), the Central Societies Committee (CSC), the Trinity College Students’ Union (TCDSU), the Graduate Students’ Union (GSU) and Trinity Publications were told today. The funding reduction was confirmed at a budget meeting of the capitation committee, chaired by the senior dean, Prof Brian McGing, this morning.

The overall funding allocation for the five umbrella student bodies is now €1,044,910 for the 2014/15 academic year, €100,199 lower than the 2012/13 budget of €1,145,109. This year’s funding has been reduced from €340,524 to €322,834 for DUCAC; €344,874 to €326,958 for CSC;  €312,410 to €296,181 for the SU; €57,707 to €54,709 for the GSU; and €46,652 to €44,228 for Trinity Publications.

Trinity News understands that the capitation committee is to form a working group that will meet for the first time on December 9th to plan opposition to further potential cuts.  “We had already known that we were going to face these cuts this year,” SU president, Domhnall McGlacken Byrne, said today. “The focus now is on organising ourselves ahead of the next discussion.”

This year’s overall funding reduction follows a 3.75% cut implemented during the last academic year. College’s board had initially proposed two annual cuts of 5% in July 2013, but the first cut was reduced following criticism of the capitated bodies’ exclusion from the decision-making process. The funding reduction had been communicated to Prof Moray McGowan, the then chair of the capitation committee, in November 2013, five months after the decision was taken.

The money provided to the capitated bodies comes from the annual student contribution charge, which is paid by all students. Before 2002, students paid a direct “capitation fee” which went straight to the capitated bodies for the provision of services and extra-curricular activities for students. This was included as part the overall registration fee in 2002.

Catherine Healy

Editor of Trinity News. Interested in politics, history and all forms of media.