Match Reports – TCD Ladies Gaelic Football & Camogie

TCD2 vs. UCD3 (Division 4 League) Venue: UCD 

Team TCD2

1. Aoife McGovern
  2. Keelin Timony
  3. Kate Heffernan
  4. Aoife Mulhearne
  5. Molly Brannock
  6. Roisin Boyce
  7. Sarah Dempsey
  8. Aife Kavanagh
  9. Michelle Peel
  10. Orla McLaughlin
  11. Rhian Kenny
  12. Sinead Crowley
  13. Ailbhe Finnerty
  14. Claire Turner
  15. Doireann Ni Chonghaile
  16. Leonie Buckley
  17. Siofra Mulkerrin

FT:  UCD3 1:05 to 5:11 TCD2

TCD2 got their season off to a winning start with an emphatic victory over UCD3 in Belfield Wednesday last. TCD2 got off to an early 1:01 to no score lead with the goal coming from Ailbhe Finnerty. An energetic first half saw TCD2 dominate all over the field with strong defending from Roisin Boyce and Sarah Dempsey forcing wide a number of shots from the UCD3 forwards. Kate Heffernan made a crucial interception on the goalward bound UCD3 centre forward. UCD got onto the scoreboard with a point from the wing forward but the pace of TCD2 allowed them the greater share of possession to launch attacks down the field. Michelle Peel added another point from the 45 yard line and skilful interception play allowed TCD2 to limit further UCD attacks, leaving TCD2 with an 8 point advantage at half time. Playing into the wind in the second half, TCD2 continued strongly with Claire Turner netting two goals and points coming from along the half and full forward lines. Aife Kavanagh added another point from an attack that began in the half back line. For a team largely comprised of untested new members of the club, TCD2 displayed confidence on the ball and demonstrated promising support play. UCD3 added a further 3 points but were out of sight of TCD2 who finished comfortably with a large margin of victory.

TCD1 vs. AIT (Division 2 League) Venue: TCD (Clanna Gael Ringsend)

Team TCD1

1. Mairi Ni Mhuineachain

2. Rachel Coleman-Horgan

3. Amie Giles

4. Amy Codd

5. Emma Sheehy

6. Aoife McGovern

7. Petra McCafferty

8. Emma Jones

9. Aisling Reynolds

10. Lucy Mulhall

11. Sarah McCaffrey

12. Michelle Peel

13. Meabh Downey

14. Caitriona Smith

15. Jessica Comerford

FT: TCD1 1:11 to 3:10 AIT

TCD1 were not as successful as their fellow clubmates in the first senior game of the season, failing to clear the hurdle of a determined AIT challenge. TCD1 started strongly with points from Caitriona Smith and Jessica Comerford but AIT soon put the TCD1 defenders under pressure with support play from midfield backing up their attacks. AIT got right back into the game with an early goal from their centre forward. From there on scores were exchanged back and forth with neither team managing to break away. AIT demonstrated confident play in midfield although the early introduction of substitute Jacinta Brady enabled TCD1 to better control attacks down the centre from AIT. Amie Giles made an excellent block to work the ball back up the field for TCD1 which Lucy Mulhall converted to a point. AIT edged into the lead just before the break with a well taken point form the corner forward. TCD1 came out strongly at the re-start but failed to capitalise fully on their spell of pressure with shots taken from the half forward line dropping short to be cleared by the AIT goalkeeper. AIT forged ahead with points coming from frees and then dealt a further blow with a goal coming from a shot that hit the post only to be deflected in over the line. TCD1 pushed forward and scored some wide angle points but AIT piled the pressure on and yielded another goal after the full forward collected a low ball into the square. TCD1 pressed hard towards the close of the game to make up the deficit but could only narrow the gap with points coming from Sarah McCaffrey and Meabh Downey, leaving AIT the victors.

A look ahead to this year for TCDLGFC

The senior team hope to whet their appetite and improve their game with challenges in the league, knowing that this is where the groundwork must be laid in order to compete at Giles Cup championship level. Winning Lynch Cup last season was a huge boost for the team, which was reflected by the interest shown at sign ups during Fresher’s Week and subsequent attendance and enthusiasm at training. The seconds’ team is a crucial platform for player advancement with the players already demonstrating the ability to work together skilfully and coherently in their first game of the season. This team will be a force to be reckoned with both in the league and the Donaghy Cup championship.

20131017-130737.jpg