Stage is prepared for action against climate change

Science HeaderThis month’s Conference Of Parties (COP 20) gathering in Lima, Peru, has been one of the most promising and progressive assemblies in the fight against climate change.

Guided by the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change, the conference provided a significant litmus test on the road to securing global rapprochement in the implementation of binding carbon emission reduction targets.

Hitherto, acrimonious divisions had persisted between nation states on a litany of economic and environmental issues, pursuant to thwarting greenhouse gas emissions. Previous UN Climate Summits had become synonymous with nominal outcomes, such as the Copenhagen Climate Summit of 2009, seen by many as an opportunity to develop global cohesion, which unfortunately failed miserably; producing only unsubstantial voluntary agreements. Interestingly, the goal of limiting the global temperature increase to 2 degrees Celsius above pre-industrial levels was set at the Copenhagen Summit, albeit without any practical arrangement for execution.

In the meantime, the impending climatic crises has been festering, rapidly decreasing the window of opportunity to ameliorate widespread environmental chaos. The urgency to bridge this impasse and jettison perpetual desultory results is reaching fever pitch. Accordingly, a strategy for genuine global progression has been devised.

Three pivotal meetings, facilitating a collective binding agreement, are in the United Nations almanac for 2015, culminating at the COP 21 in Paris, which is tentatively set to commence next December. It is believed these negotiations will act as the catalysing agent for considerable carbon emission reductions.

Firstly, the Geneva Climate Change Conference, in February, will continue to build upon the progress of the last twelve months, laying further track for the Paris ultimatum. Importantly, there will be an absence of frivolous side events and exhibitions, demonstrating the pertinence of discussion.

Secondly, a performance appraisal is set for June, in Bonn, Germany. The submission of reports underlining the accreditation of the Framework on Climate Change is anticipated. Assessing the efficacy of the modalities, arrangements and procedures previously implemented through the Kyoto Protocol in addition to the overall mitigation effort will come under scrutiny.

Finally, the aforementioned COP 21, where unified, legally binding, multilateral agreements are expected.

The occurrence of which will signify a momentous milestone for humanity in the dogfight against perilous climatic change and mark the end of spurious emission commitments by nation states.

It is paramount that unperturbed, sustained momentum continues toward a unified global effort. At the APEC Summit last November, a Sino-US emission reduction agreement was declared. Setting ambitious aims in pollutant reduction and utilisation of carbon-neutral energy sources by 2025.  However non-binding the agreement was, it is nonetheless importantly symbolic of the two largest emission culprits, to act as a leading conduit for positive change; hence fueling the momentum for substantiated global adherence.

It is evident, that both of these inveterate fossil fuel consumers, must prescribe to a mandatory emission reduction directive, thus establishing a precept for fellow countries to follow. Only at that point, can doubts concerning the veracity of emission reduction commitments be dispelled.

Furthermore, asinine global vacillations are unacceptable in this regard. Engaging in environmental brinkmanship may cause catastrophe beyond any ‘great aberration’ of 2007/08, synonymous with a venal, overleveraged financial system.

The stage is prepared to expunge nonchalance and engineer a multilateral strategy to confront, what only can be described as the greatest test to intelligence that the intellect has ever faced. The imperative abrogate tension and create a firm foundation to expedite positive change is accumulating.

Lastly, to echo the sentiment of UN Secretary General, Ban Ki-moon, 2015 must be a time for global action. Momentum toward a prodigious binding Paris agreement is accelerating,