Pro-choice activists to launch video campaign

news1A group of pro-choice Trinity activists are to launch a video campaign to better inform Trinity students of the difference between being “pro-choice” and “pro-abortion”.

The move follows discussion at an SU meeting held last Thursday.  SU president Domhnall McGlacken-Byrne, who led discussions along with welfare officer Ian Mooney, began by asking attendees to offer any suggestion that came to mind, telling those assembled there was no upfront agenda and that the meeting was to begin with a blank slate.

A general consensus soon emerged, with many claiming that one of their biggest concerns was the confusion that seemed to surround the definition of pro-choice.

All wanted to emphasise the difference between the pro-choice and pro-abortion positions. Pro-choice, the attendees said, was the belief that people should be allowed make the decision of getting an abortion privately without state intervention. For most pro-choice activists, “it’s not just a medical procedure,” said McGlacken-Byrne. He conceded, however, that the argument was “complicated. People have their own opinions – no-one has come up with the perfect policy.”

The group recognised that nationally their capability for bringing about change was small, and decided to limit the promotion of their views within the grounds of the college. Their efforts, it was agreed, should focus on making the distinction between pro-choice and pro-abortion more apparent. Reflecting on the success of past SU video campaigns it was decided that a promotional video was the best way of achieving their aim. Some film students who were present agree to write a storyboard and it was suggested by McGlacken-Byrne that they should meet again in a few days to figure out the finer details.

Posters were also considered a possibility, although some attendees were hesitant about this, claiming that after the elections no one would want to see a poster for a while. It was suggested that if posters were to be used it would be only a small amount, so as to not upset students who may feel bombarded with all the current campaigns.

Finally, SU sabbatical officers confirmed that they had been in touch with a doctor to organise giving a possible guest lecture on the topic of abortion and all attendees concluded that it was a worthwhile endeavour.