Trinity misses out on place in top 100 universities

newsTrinity College, as well as all other Irish universities, has missed out on a place in a ranking of the world’s top 100 universities published today by Times Higher Education.

Trinity was the highest ranked university within Ireland – being placed somewhere between 150 and 200 – with UCD, NUIG and UCC all ranking in the 200 to 300 category.

Other European countries saw several of their top universities in a higher position than last year, with the University of Cambridge and University of Oxford moving from 4th and 5th to 2nd and 3rd respectively, Germany’s Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich rising from 46th to 35th, and France’s Paris-Sorbonne University rising from 76th to 55th.

Harvard University was the top ranked university, followed by Cambridge, Oxford, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Stanford University.

The Times Higher Education reputation rankings are calculated by compiling around 10,000 questionnaires, which ask academics what universities they consider to be the best in their academic field.

Speaking today, Phil Baty, its editor, said that Trinity’s rank was still “pretty impressive” given that the top 100 universities belong to a very elite group.

No Irish university has ever been placed in the Times Higher Education top 100, though Trinity has often been ranked in the top 100 in other lists such as the QS World University Rankings 2014.