TCDSU elects new Access Officer

Third year Physiotherapy student Ola Bademosi was the successful candidate

NEWSAn election took place for the annual Access Officer position at tonight’s meeting of Trinity College Dublin’s Students’ Union (TCDSU) Council. Third year Physiotherapy student Ola Bademosi was the successful candidate competing against three others: Aisling Connolly, Paula Dempsey, and Sheela Gautam.

Each candidate was allowed a make a speech with the maximum length of 30 seconds. The first to speak was Aisling Connolly, who told council that Trinity Access Programme (TAP) had not only helped her get to Trinity, but also to develop as a person.

First year Psychology student Paula Dempsey outlined her ambitions for the role of TAP officer. She said that she wanted to “build a culture in Trinity” that would bring diversity to the college.

In his speech Ola Bademosi cited his experience of TAP, describing himself as “a product of the system.” He said that he knows the services and how TAP runs and told Council that there are some changes that he would like to make to the programme.

Second year Psychology and Sociology student Sheela Gautam emphasised her knowledge of TAP and cited her experience speaking to prospective students at secondary schools, and her work as a Trinity tour guide for TAP students. Gautam said that she wanted to spread awareness about TAP around college, as students who come through the TAP system “have every right to a future” in Trinity.