Students Against Fees establishes steering committee to oversee running of group

The focus of the meeting was on the need for a coherent structure, and future action of the group with regard to the new academic year

NEWSWednesday April 6 saw another open meeting held by Students Against Fees (SAF). This time, the focus was very much on the need for a coherent structure, and future action of the group with regard to the new academic year.

Until now, the structure of the group seemed to be in a perpetual state of flux. There was unanimous agreement on the need for the group to take on a more solidified structure, due to its evolution from the ad hoc basis upon which it was founded.

It was suggested that some sort of ‘steering committee’ be implemented. This would not be a dominantly powerful executive, but a faction of the whole group that is open to everyone, who will keep an eye on the day to day running of the group, and liaise with Trinity College Dublin’s Students’ Union (TCDSU) should the need call for it. This committee will be an informal steering committee to an extent, and will be an elected, democratic, accountable body. It was agreed that the steering committee will consist of ten people, with Oisin Vince Coulter, SAF founding member and editor-elect of Trinity News and, and Lynn Ruane, president of TCDSU, named as two members.

With regard to the future of the group and its longevity as exam season and summer approach, it was put forward that the implementation of this committee might be postponed until the new academic year commences.

Furthermore, it was suggested that the group continue to have an open meeting once a month so as to ensure that interested parties are kept informed, and to maintain an ethos of openness and approachability.

The idea was also raised that the group broaden the student body’s general awareness of it by holding a series of discussions during Freshers’ Week to inform people as to what they stand for, and garner further support.