Flying solo: coming to Trinity alone

Here some of the best events to attend during Freshers’ Week if you’re coming to Trinity alone.

Deciding to go to college is a massive decision. A new city, new people, a new home, a new environment. All of this can be extremely daunting, but is also beyond exciting! Here’s a collection of some of the go-to events for those of you who are flying solo to make some great friends.

First off, be sure to attend is the Societies Fair. If there is one way to get stuck into life at College – especially if you’re going it alone – it is through clubs and societies. The fair, found at Front Square, is covered in stalls for all the different societies on campus. Check it out between 10am-4pm any day during Freshers’ Week to chat to some of the representatives of each society and to sign up if any catch your eye.

Let’s get quizzical

If quizzes are your thing, then Quiz Soc are running a ‘Friends’ Quiz night on Wednesday at 6:30pm in Doyle’s. This event is open to anyone, whether you’re a ‘Friends’ fanatic and know every episode of season four off by heart, or you can’t tell Chandler from Joey and just want a fun opportunity to meet some friends of your own (or if you’d sooner show off your Disney knowledge, the Disney Quiz is at 7pm on Monday at Sweetman’s).

Photo op

Budding photographer? If so, DUPA are holding an Alternative Dublin Walking Tour with Vis Arts at 5:30pm on Wednesday. This is a great opportunity for those of you who are new to the Fair City to get a feel for some of the lesser-known spots  and even if you’re a Dublin native it is a great chance to meet some new photographer friends while strolling through the cobblestone streets.

If you’re looking for the chance to meet a load of new people, Europa are holding a Speed Friending session on Monday in the Eliz Room in House 6 at 3pm. This cosy mixer is an amazing way to meet people who are in the same boat as you and with free pizza and refreshments who could say no?

Music to your ears

Are you a cellist whose skills rival that of Yo-Yo Ma? Are your piano skills as impressive as Chopin’s or perhaps Beethoven’s? If so now’s your chance to join Trinity Orchestra which is Ireland’s only entirely student run orchestra. There is always something amazing happening with these guys, only just a few weeks ago the orchestra was joined by Hozier to honour David Bowie with a mind-blowing tribute at Electric Picnic. Chat to one of the members wandering around Front Square to arrange an audition.

Famous lawyers, competitions, free food and drink – if this sounds ideal to you then make sure you head over to Law Soc’s event at Goldsmith Hall on Wednesday at 3pm. Dean Strang and Jerry Buting from ‘Making a Murderer’ will be there to speak to the crowd. This is a chance to get to know members of one of the biggest and most vibrant societies on campus.

Guaranteed to sell out, The Freshers’ Ball is happening on Wednesday at The Academy on Abbey Street. Trinity Ents along with Trinity VDP and DU Players have arranged a glitzy, glittering paradise for you to let loose and dance the night away. So be sure to don your dancing shoes and get to know your fellow freshers at what is sure to be one of the best nights of the year!

Fancy yourself as a Mario Kart enthusiast? If so head on over to the Hist Conversation  Room on Friday at 12pm. If you turn up at 10am, you can even squeeze in a free breakfast. To add to this, they are serving complimentary candyfloss and slushies all day too and that is hard to beat.

Take it easy

After a full week of late nights, free cocktails and early starts, the Visual Arts Society, along with The Phil and DUDJ are hosting a Creative Chillzone to help cure the hangovers after all the celebrations. Visit the GMB Resource Room between 12pm and 3:30pm to indulge in some arts and crafts and make new friends while you’re at it.
Although we have only named a few events here, there are hundreds more chances for you to hang out with fellow freshers and dive into life at Trinity from the first week. Be sure to keep an eye on Facebook and Twitter to keep in the loop.