A guide to Trinity sports clubs

Did you miss out on the chance of joining at Freshers’ week? Clare McCarthy gives you all the information you need to join one of Trinity’s clubs

Trinity News offers you a comprehensive guide to all the sports clubs that TCD has to offer. College is the perfect place to start a new sport or to continue on with the sport you have done through school. With over 50 sports clubs to choose from, there’s something for everyone from elites to first-timers. Whichever you choose though, be sure to drop by the stall during fresher’s week to sign up!

For more information on each sports club’s training times, locations and more, links are provided below to the clubs’ Facebook pages ( by clicking on the club name or otherwise specified).

Archery

archery

Officially recognised in October 2015, DU Archery is Trinity’s brand new Archery Club for old hands and beginners alike to shoot and socialise.

Training venue: Greenside House, Cuffe Street

AFC – Men (SOCCER)

soccer

Founded in 1883, DUAFC is now playing three teams in the Leinster Senior League with the 1st’s playing Sunday Senior 1B, intermediate football.

Training Venues: College Park, Sports Centre – Main Hall B and Santry

AFC – Ladies (SOCCER)

ladies-soccer

As an inclusive society, DULAFC is open to all students of Trinity to join and participate in, no matter their level of play.

Training Venue:  College Park and Futsal Court, Botany Bay – from 13th October

Aikido

“I started Aikido last year and I like it because it’s the only martial art where size and strength doesn’t matter.” – Niamh Hennessy, SS Engineering

The DU Aikido Club offers classes that can benefit your health, defence and self-development. Aikido is a Japanese martial art focusing not on punching or kicking opponents, but rather on using their own energy to gain control of them or to throw them away from you. It places great emphasis on motion and the dynamics of movement.

Training Venue: Sports Centre – Ancillary Hall A / B

American Football

Dublin_University_American_Football_Club

TCD’s American Football team, are recruiting for season 2016/17 and are constantly looking for players of all experience willing to learn the game, or help out with running the club behind the scenes.

Training Venues: Sports Centre, Main Hall B and Santry

Badminton

badmintonSocial badminton is open to all levels and takes place in the sports centre, all rackets and shuttles are provided, you only need to bring yourself! Visit their page here.

Training Venue: Sports Centre – Main Hall A / B

Basketball

basketball

Trinity Basketball play in the Men’s and Women’s College Leagues, and also send teams to the annual Fresher’s Tournament and Varsities as well as international college tournaments.

Training Venue: Sports Centre – Main Hall B / A

Barbell

“Trinity Barbell has united all kinds of lifters to add a team and social aspect in what are generally seen as solo sports. With both in-person meetups and a strong online community it has brought my own progress on greatly” – Paul Reddin, SS Physics

Trinity Barbell
is the revived Weightlifting and Powerlifting club. Whether you want to compete with either of their teams or just clean up your squat or snatch they can help!

Training Venue: Trinity gym

Boat – Men

mens-boat

Rowing for Dublin University Boat Club (DUBC) offers the opportunity for intensive sculling training in the club’s sizeable fleet of small boats as well as the sweep rowing typical of University clubs.

Training Venues: Sports Centre and Islandbridge Boat House

Boat – Ladies

ladies-boat

Catering for student rowers at Trinity College Dublin of all levels from complete novices to aspiring international athletes. Visit their Facebook page here.

Training Venue: Sports Centre

Boxing

box

The boxing club at Trinity competes annually in the Irish University Senior and Junior Championships as well as the Colours fixture against UCD.

Training: Boxing Gym, Trinity Technology & Enterprise Campus – Unit 11

Trinity GAA

Trinity ladies gaa

Trinity G.A.A. has five clubs: Hurling, Gaelic Football, Handball, Ladies Gaelic Football & Camogie and over 400 members.

Gaelic Football (Men’s) – Training venue: Santry – October to February

Gaelic Football (Women’s)  Training venue: Santry – October to February

Camogie – Training venue: Santry – October to February

Hurling – Training venue: Santry – October to February

Handball – Training venue: Sports Centre – Main Hall A

Climbing

climbin

Free sessions for all members of DUCC take place at the trinity climbing wall every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7-10. All equipment and lessons provided.

Training Venue: Sports Centre – Climbing Wall

Cricket

cricket

The club has 3 men’s, a ladies and taverners’ teams and are always looking to gain new members!

Training: Sports Centre – Ancillary Hall

Croquet

croquetYou are sure to see the croquet club in action on Trinity campus throughout the year, especially as the weather gets warmer. Visit their facebook page here.

Training Venue: New Square

Cycling

Trinity Cycling Club (DUCC)cycle is one of Ireland’s top third level cycling clubs with a membership of over 100 riders. They have a strong presence in the road race and leisure, mountain and track scene across Ireland.

Training Venue: Meet at the entrance to the Sports Centre

Equestrian

“Joining the equestrian society here at Trinity is a fantastic way to make new friends and continue horse riding while at university, with no prior riding experience or horse needed!” – Jemma Parkhill, SF

equestrian

Trinity College Dublin’s Equestrian club covers the majority of equestrian disciplines and cater for all levels from total beginners to international competitors. Owning your own horse is not necessary!

Training: For more information visit the stall at fresher’s week or visit their Facebook page (linked above).

Fencing

Dublin University Fencing Clubfencing is the oldest and most successful fencing club in Ireland, with fencing being promoted in the college from its founding. The club caters for all levels, from beginners to international.

Training Venue: Ancillary Hall, Sports Centre

Rugby – Men

RUGBY

As the oldest rugby club in continuous existence in the world, Trinity Rugby are focused on challenging for honours at the highest national levels. The newly-promoted 1st XV were a dominant force in 2015/16 and are now playing in the All Ireland League Division 1A.

Training Venue: College Park

Rugby – Ladies

Established in 1996, Trinity Ladies Rugby compete in the SSI league. Ladies of all experience and levels are welcome!

Training Venue: College Park

Golf – Men and Ladies

golf

Trinity’s golf club has both men and women’s teams. For more information on how to get involved, visit their facebook page.

Training Venue: Portmarnock Golf Club

Harriers & Athletics (DUHAC)

“I was new to running when I joined DUHAC. It has helped me to not only improve my fitness, but I have made some amazing friends from here and abroad. It’s such a welcoming club for people of all levels of fitness, from those who’ve never run before to international athletes. We all just get together and have a great time.” – Hannah Linney, SS Radiation Therapy  

harriers-and-athletics

DU Harriers & Athletics is the athletics club of Trinity College Dublin and welcomes athletes of all abilities, from joggers to competitive athletes. DUHAC competes in Intervarsity Athletic events across Ireland such as Road Relays, Cross Country and Track & Field. They also hold core and circuit classes that are free for their members!

Training: For more info on training times and classes click on the link above.

Hockey – Men

mens-hockey

Dublin University Hockey Club (DUHC) has a proud history as Ireland’s oldest hockey club and consists of four league teams and an under 21 side. They cater for all skill levels, and also host an active social scene running numerous events each term.

Training Venue: Santry

Hockey – Women

womens-hockey

Dublin University Ladies Hockey Club (DULHC), otherwise known as Trinity Ladies Hockey Club, has five teams that compete in Leinster divisions 1-14 and also in a number of Leinster divisional and national cups.

Training Venue: Santry

Judo

judo

DU Judo is affiliated to the International Judo Federation and they compete on a national level. Some people take part in judo because they want to compete, others are more interested in self-defence and with DU Judo all levels including complete beginners are catered for.

Karate

karate

Trinity Karate Club trains in the Ancillary Hall in the Sports centre and welcomes everyone; beginners, advanced, students, Erasmus and post grads. They are looking forward to seeing everybody back for another great year of karate.

Kayak

kayak

Trinity’s Kayak club are a very active club with pool sessions twice a week, river trips most weekends and several weekends away throughout the year.

Training venue: Sports Centre – Swimming Pool

Tennis

ten

Trinity’s Tennis Club caters for players of all standards, offering free weekly coaching throughout the year for all levels. For those playing competitively, the membership fee covers all entry fees to external team tournaments and internal individual competitions.

Training Venue: Tennis Courts, Botany Bay

Netball

netball

Trinity Netball Club are the league and university club for netball at Trinity College. They have a mixture of netball training, fitness training and social events throughout the year and play competitively every week.

Training Venue: Sports Centre – Main Hall B

Orienteering

orienteers

DU Orienteering (DUO) is open to any student with an interest in orienteering, offering a mixture of orienteering events and social activities. If you want to learn how to orienteer and explore Ireland’s gorgeous nature in a novel way DUO is what you’re looking for.

Training Venue and Outings: See club noticeboard

Rifle

DU Rifle Club (DURC)rifle is a fully equipped target shooting club with a range located on campus. DURC have all the equipment you need to get started in target shooting and offer a fantastic opportunity to try out a new sport during your time here in college.

Training Venue: Rifle Range

Sailing

“I joined sailing last year and I live it. It’s the best way to make friends and to always have something to do on weekends.” – Sophie Whelton, SF BESS

Dublin University Sailing Clubsailing, is the largest student sailing club in Ireland with over 200 active members and organises sailing for students of all abilities.  Trinity Sailing compete regularly in IUSA events around the country and count 16 Irish Olympians amongst its alumni.

Training Venue: Royal St George Club, Dun Laoghaire

Snowsports

“I joined snowsports when I came into 1st year because I loved skiing. I had heard about The Trip before but I didn’t realise how much training actually goes on during the year. It’s a great thing to get involved in when you come into college. It’s definitely one of the best choices I’ve made in college.” – Meghan Fitzpatrick, Earth Science

snowsports

DU Snowsports is Trinity’s ski and snowboard club running the highly anticipated, annual Trinity Ski Trip. This year they will be heading off to Val Thorens, located in the French Alps.

Squash

Dublin University Squash Rackets Club (DUSRC)squash is the league and university squash club for Trinity. DUSRC take part in an annual international squash tour, Colours tournament, intervarsity’s, beginner’s tournaments and Trinity Cup. They will hold an introduction to squash for freshers and beginners next week, 20th and 22nd September.

Training Location: Trinity Halls, Dartry

Sub Aqua

sub-aquaWinners of the Trinity College Sports Club of the year 2015/16, DU Sub Aqua Club is one of the biggest, longest established and most active scuba diving clubs in Ireland. DUSAC can give you all the skills you need for scuba diving, and qualifications that are recognised worldwide.

Training Venue: Swimming Pool

Surfing & Bodyboarding

surf

Trinity Surf Club is one of Trinity’s largest clubs and has been running surf trips to the west for over 10 years. From complete beginners to seasoned pros, all are welcome!

Swimming and Water Polo

“I’ve swam for years but joining DUSC in first year was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made! It’s a very fun, social way to keep fit and meet new people from all over Trinity.” – Rachel Nevins, Political Science and Geography

swim
 Founded in 1897, Dublin University Swimming Club is one of Trinity’s oldest and largest sporting clubs. Come on down to the pool for a friendly atmosphere, a great sports team and a lot of fun!

Table Tennis

tabletennis

DU Table Tennis’ evening training is on Wednesdays in the ancillary hall with coaching for this session to help improve your game! Play games, matches and join a team to play in the college league and intervarsities! All levels are welcome.

Training Venue: Sports Centre, Ancillary Hall

Tae Kwon Do

taekwando

D.U. Taekwondo is a Martial Arts club that caters to anyone interested in learning and practicing Taekwondo. Classes are offered both to beginners and those with previous Martial Arts experience.

Trampoline

“When I joined DU Trampoline Club on a whim during Fresher’s week I would never have guessed that it would become the best part of my college experience. I’d never tried trampolining before, but now I have actually won national & international medals and even an award from Trinity Sport.” – Roisin Greening, JS European Studies

trampoline

Trinity Trampoline Club welcomes all, the elite gymnast and the completely inexperienced with fun and bouncing guaranteed. Trampoline is a fun, social form of exercise. After the initial cost of joining the club, trainings are free which means you can bounce on big trampolines all year long!

Training Venue: Sports Centre Main Hall, 3rd Floor

Ultimate Frisbee

“I’ve loved playing Ultimate since I started as a beginner in first year. The people are very welcoming to beginners of the sport as well as being able to still compete at the highest level in Ireland.” – Oisin Skinnader, JS, Trinity Ultimate Captain

ultimate-frisbee

Dublin University Ultimate Frisbee Club (DUUFC) is Ireland’s oldest and top performing college Ultimate teams. Trinity Ultimate is open to any Trinity Students, whether you’ve played before, are an absolute beginner, or even if you’re only here for one semester.

Triathlon

triatholonTrinity’s Triathlon club, is not just a club for elite athletes but for people who want to improve their fitness or take on a new challenge. The Triathlon Club links up with DU Cycling Club and DU Harriers and Athletic Club for full training benefits.

Volleyball

“I joined the TCD Volleyball team two years ago. It’s a great opportunity to ‘relax’ from the stressful PhD Life. I absolutely love it!” – Jennifer Gansan, Bioengineering

volleyball

Trinity Volleyball Club currently has one women’s league team playing in the Irish Premier league and one men’s team in the Irish Division One league. Trinity Volleyball host skill sessions which cater for all levels of volleyball, including beginners!

Training Venue: Sports Centre

Windsurfing

wake

Trinity Wind and Wake are primarily a Wake-boarding, Windsurfing and Kite-surfing Club and are one of Trinity’s newest and youngest clubs! In their first year competing, they finished third place overall in Celtwake 2016.

Training Venue: Wakedock, Grand Canal Dock.